Revisit: Summer/Closer

FAYE

Summer break.

Aside from Christmas holiday, oh I love summer break! I love the slow peak of time, hot air, sunny days! And of course, don't let me start about beaches! Gosh, the ocean and golden sand are heaven.

For students, summer is the time for fun; no assignments, no cramming exams and perfect time to do anything. Be lazy. Your to do- list is endless!

And today is the first day.

"So, what's your plan?"

My head snapped back to the laptop's screen. I'm in my room, updating my resume and video chatting with Candice for two hours now. We were still in pajamas. I laughed really hard because she had Dora The Explorer pjs.

I grinned.

Picking up the thin paper, I flat it to the screen. She moved closer, eyes squinting. "Hell no! That's your plan? But you did it last summer!" she groaned, crossing her arms.

I wriggled my brows at her somehow expected her opinion. "I enjoy my time in Sophy's Page. Plus, Sarah didn't have any substitute for me."

Her frown deepened.

Its been two years of summer I applied as part-time librarian staff in a small public library in town. Though the payback is quite low—reason why Sarah can't find any applicant—I took it anyway. Honestly, I didn't care about monetary compensation but more on books I can borrow for free.

Yes. Sarah, the middle age owner, let me borrow any book without slip as much as my arms can  carry and I loved it. I felt my job wasn't work at all. Its my happy pill. For hours, I can get lost in hundreds of books, access to files not available in my college library. Even banned books or those pulled off from university library due to delicate content. Another thing, Sarah became my close friend. She's fun to be with for a fortyish widowed woman.

So now, I'm taking the job again.  Eager.

"She called me last night to update my resumè..." I put it down. "And, its not far. I can drive or bike from here."

She rolled her eyes, punching her screen. "But you promise me, we'll spend this summer together..."

I groaned internally. Oh how can I forgot?

Guilt swarmed my chest seeing this was difficult for her. Family issues.

Months before, we had plans to visit Candice's grandmother's ranch near a fall. Its a beautiful place for vacation and since her stepfather's children we'll be there, she asked me to tag along. Me as her antidote for being out of place as I quote.

And I said yes.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered not meeting her glared.

"Sarah called and I can't say no. Uhm... How about this weekend? We can spend there for two days?" I try to bargained.

From my screen, she closed her eyes, hands buried in her red tousled hair. She shook her head, "No. I can't. You know what? For get it!"

"Cand—"

"Zip it!"

And just like that, the screen went blank. You imbecile!... I wanted to kick myself! I burned my only friend!

Scrambling on my seat, I tried to dial her number but its unreachable. No! No!

"Ugh! I hate my lifeeeee! Ahhhh!" I screeched to the ceiling.