CHAPTER 12

||Let It Go||

———
'Loving you was like catching fireflies. Its beautiful. But flicker then die shortly.'
———

"So, how you guys met?" Elise Howard, asked while twirling the straw with her long nails.

From our light conversation, I've learned that she was a Fashion designer. She designed bags and shoes. Its pretty cool and she came from businessmen family. 

Beautiful. Rich. A body to die. Loud mouth.

I pressed my lips together. How I can explain that Eric and I used to be a couple? Perhaps she would laugh at me or cry a bloody wolf that I need a psychological attention or what. Of course, Eric's caliber was supposed to be out of my reach.

But we did happened.

I cleared my throat.

"Eric and I used to be a close friends back in college,"

She hummed, blue eyes pinned me back.

After my embarrassing shoot--to--kill moment, Eric invited us to have an afternoon tea. He left us two in the garden to take a business call. But not before saying, "We're not done yet,"

Awkward. The first few hours was torture. I didn't how to hold a conversation with woman I have no idea who she was to Eric. Fortunately, Elise started the talk with a silly joke on condom. I burst out laughing.

It broke the ice between us.

She went on that her studies in London and work cut off their communication and it only resumed when the they met in a family birthday. Just hearing it, still paint a jealousy in my heart but I pushed it down deeper.

"Wait, college?" her eyes crinkled.

"Yeah,"

"You mean like school school?"

"Yeah... why?"

Her forehead deepened. She leaned away as if thinking deeply. Then she burst into cackle. Even her laughter sounded lady-like. Classy. My lips raised. Elise was not that bad. For a minute, I scrutinized her; she's different from girls I knew who came from rich names. I smiled at her, not really knowing what's funny.

She wiped her teary eyes.

"I'm-I'm sorry..." she giggled some more.

"Okay, I laugh because you're very good in acting. I mean, you're very serious about your shit," she casually said, still flustered from her laughing.

"Excuse me?!" I can't helped but raised my voice at her, disbelief. "I'm serious,"

"Ok," she raised her hands in surrender.

"He didn't took a regular school, okay, or went to a private school either. Eric was homeschooled,"

Then its my time to look at her like a marsian.

As I opened my mouth to clarify her words, Eric appeared in the double doors, looking hunk as ever. My words paused on my throat. He took a sit between us, quite nearer to my space. The round table suddenly looked crowded, I squirmed on my seat while Elise looked sunny.

"So, what you girls talkin' about?" he extended his arms on my chair's back rest.

"Nah, nothing serious. So about the vase?" Elise wiggled her brows.

I choked on my spit.

"Look, I'm very sorry about it. Its my fault. I will pay you up once I return to my work," suddenly its too tight to breath.

For the broken vase? Really?

"The vase, its not about the price. Its all about its the worth. That vase actually came from Greece. My grandfatherther found it in a lake himself. Its an artifact." he finished.

Yeah, that really took me by surprise. I can write a story about something like that. But the pressing matter, he was actually pissed because I broke it. I didn't missed how Eric glared at me when he stood next to it. He pinned me though I understood it.

My fist curled.

Worth, huh?

Suddenly my throat tightened.

"I said, I will pay you. Don't worry, even if I pay you throughout my life, fine!" my voice was dripping with venom.

I stood.

"Guys?" Elise eased the building tension.

I spun around and ran inside the house. I heard Elise called my name. My memory went back when he saw the vase on the floor. His jaw ticked. I was shocked and scared when I met his eyes.

I went straight to my room. When I was about to lock it, a foot stuck out, preventing me from closing the door.

"Let's talk!"

"Damn you!" I broke down. I let everything out from my chest with two words. My frustration, my anger, my heartache, my disappointment... Hell, I didn't knew what I feel anymore.

He stepped forward. His eyes was full of pity? Anger. My anger flared up. I didn't need his pity. He can shove his pity to any slut's ass he can find!

"Really its all about your fault! If you didn't follow me, if you didn't show up!" I rolled my eyes while tears pouring down my cheeks." we wouldn't be here! And your poor vase would still be in one piece!" I screamed, poking his chest.

"You're just overreacting Faye! What I said earlier has nothing to do with the-"

"Then, what's it all about, huh? That I'm poor? Yeah, how can I even pay your vase if I can't even afford a cappuccino?" I laughed bitterly.

"That's not what I meant Faye! God damn it! I wish... a--ah... I'm..." he stuttered. Eric looked desperate and I felt a tug.

He clutched his head with his hands. Chest rising and falling. Looking down to my eyes, he whispered,

"I hope you can forgive me Faye. About everything I did. About this... fuck!" He sounded wounded. "I'm sorry! I shouldn't done these!"

I wanted to reach out to him but my hands remained on my side. I turned to my left,giving him my back.

"Just so you know, I didn't regret what happened to us that night," he walked to the door.

"I'm sorry..."

When the door clicked, I exhaled loudly sitting on my bed. Everything was messed up. From our breakup, to everything thats happening now. I'm tired. I shut my eyes curling myself to bed.

I thought about his eyes that looked down to me; pain and guilt. It squeezed my heart.

Am I causing him pain too? 

I shook my head. The small part said he deseve it. I  stood to the bathroom and took a warm shower. As I soaked in the tub, my mind drifted to what happened in the garden. Playing it many times.

My eyes flew opened.

Oh my I overreacted!

"Shi! Shit!"