When a boy tells you he loves you

It'll be the first time your hear this. It is late, and he isn't even there to tell you this in person but instead from a car ride home from a bar in Chicago; he is there on business. And of course you will smile, because he sounds like he means it.

Because you believe him; because a boy has never handed those words to you like crushed black berries in the palms of his hands... he will remember the time you told him you felt safe in his mouth and he will never grow hungry... just distant.

When a boy tells you he loves you, you will hear music. The voice of your past lovers dancing gulp your throat, your stomach in after- hours cabaret, still waiting on the last call. That was when you learned that when a boy says " I love you" he means " I am getting ready to be inconsistent with you now."

This boy tell you that he loves you, not long after he had you waiting for two hours in front of a cocktail lounge; patience is something you were working on no, not for him, when he asks you to tell him that you love him back, you will be in the car in the parking lot of a late night diner; you will watch the words fall into your lap like a spilled glass of white wine.

When a boys tells you he loves you...
Only to become silent like a folded sheet of tissue paper, not wanting you to decrease him into the truth... do not crack your face until the fullest crescent moon at the tapered bottom of a blackened sky. He never meant a single word of any of it. He is just a boy. Remember?
He is just another silly, sad boy. Remember?

Message to beard
You are a memory