ĄƁ|⑥.

Opening the backdoor, I leaned in and over Kenzo's car seat buckling him it from around him, picking him up

          Opening the backdoor, I leaned in and over Kenzo's car seat buckling him it from around him, picking him up. I decided to bring him to the playground since he likes to swing. I placed him down on his feet remembering to grab his cup before I closed the door with my hip. I held his hand and start walking him towards the park.

"Pok." Kenzo pointed trying to pronounce park.

"Yeah, baby. You wanna swing?" I asked as we walked towards them.

He nodded. Once we reached them, I picked him up and sat him into the baby swing and began to push him. He laughed at the face I would make to him when he came towards me. His little laugh always caused me to laugh.

"Hey." I heard peering over my shoulder to see Dayanara approaching us. I haven't heard from her in a few days so I wanted catch up. What's better than doing that and having Kenzo enjoy his swing time.

"Hey, beauty," I hugged her briefly. "I haven't heard from you in a while."

"Yeah..." She dragged out. "Things happened. Hi boyfriend."

Kenzo snickered, covering his face when she spoke to him. This little crush is so cute since he always become nervous and baby blushing.

"My son don't blush that much with me." I chuckled, "I'm becoming jealous."

"His little handsome self." She held his little hand, "What's been up with you?"

"Well, Khalil and I aren't speaking."

Her eyebrows knitted. "Why?"

"Got into an argument three days ago about something." I kept it short as I continued to put the swing Kenzo sat in.

"If don't mind me asking, about what?" She asked looking at me.

"Umm..." I started, thinking if I should tell her. "He sells....marijuana. I don't like him to because my sister is currently doing a sentence because her and her boyfriend were caught with a lot of it."

"Did he give you a valid reason on why he was doing it or is he just doing it because everyone else is?" She questioned.

"He lost his job. Someone stole and he was blamed since he has a theft charge on him from two years ago."

"That's a valid reason." She nodded, "I mean, I get where you're coming from since your sister is locked up for something similar, but you have to understand a man— especially a black or hispanic man, it's harder to get a decent job after that, and when you do, you always looked at as the person who done this or that when you probably didn't. You have to realize that's probably all he can turn to right now. His life is completely different than yours. You had it easy; financially wise, but he didn't. Cut him a little slack. All he wants to do is help."

While I continued to push the swing lightly, I nodded and really marinated on her words. I do have to realize I didn't grow up the same way as Khalil did. I was financially stable, and he wasn't. I know as a black man it's three times harder than it already is after having a record on your name.