Chapter Thirty-Six: We Need to Talk

A/N: If you guys are sensitive for like sad stuff, then get yo tissues, hon.

"Kar, we need to talk."

"O-Okay." Kara places her guitar on the end on the couch and sits on it, motioning for Lena to sit next to her. Lena sits down next to her with a sigh.

Whenever Lena was going to approach something rocky or she was anxious or nervous, her leg bounced up and down. That was exactly what she was doing right now as she was composing her thoughts. She looked down at her hands as they were fidgeting with one another. Then, she saw one of Kara's hands on top of her knee that was attached to her bouncing leg, and the other over her hands. Her leg stopped bouncing as she drew in a shaky breath.

"Lena," Kara said softly. "What's wrong?"

That voice. Oh, that voice. She was going to miss so much. Her laugh, her smile, her kisses, her scent, her hugs, the feeling of feeling safe in her arms. She was going to miss it all. Could she do it? It was to protect her. She doesn't want anything to happen to her. Any means necessary.

"Kar," Lena said quietly, still looking down at their hands. "Do you trust me?"

"Of course. With anything."

Lena smiled one of the smallest smiles to herself. "Do you remember prom night? When I said I will always protect and love you. No matter what the cost."

"You also said you'd do anything to protect me and keep me safe because you love me," Kara says, nodding at the memory. "I remember that whole night clearly."

Lena softly chuckles. "Yeah. Me too." She glances at Kara out of the corner of her eye. "I meant every word."

Kara nods again. "I know. Me too."

Lena takes in another breath as if it was to make her stronger through this very difficult thing to do. Damn her family. Damn her mother. She loved Kara so much. She never wanted to let go of her. But she had to.  "So if you trust me, and if I meant all those words at prom- which I do, I really do. Then you'll understand that we have to break up."

When Lena looked up, she could see Kara shattering in her eyes. No, no, no. Please. I'm supposed to be the strong one here. Please, Kara, please, no. Kara's eyes went to their somewhat barely dulled blue to a full dull. She didn't understand.

"W-Why?" Kara asked her voice shaking.

Lena stood up so she could walk around, get her blood pumping in her body. She walked over to the kitchen, keeping Kara in her sights as she leaned against the island. "Hon, this is for difficult reasons I can't explain."

"W-What does that mean?" Kara asks, standing up as well. "Tell me. What's wrong Lee? What's going on?"

Lena shakes her head as she closes her eyes, tears daring to escape. No. Not now. She stopped the tears for time being. "You wouldn't understand."

"Make me understand, Lee," Kara softly pleads. Lena knows she was on her way to tears. It was only a matter of time before she broke the girl in front of her.

"I can't explain, Kara. Okay?" Lena says in a desperate voice, opening her eyes to see the girl that she loved in front of her. "If I could, I would. But I can't." 

Lena could see the gears working in Kara's mind. "So you're doing this just so?"

Lena shakes her head and walks up to her. "No, Kar. I'm doing this for bigger reasons. I'm not doing this just to see you break or to see you vulnerable or upset, I'm doing this because I have to. I told you that I would always love you," Lena says, her voice breaking as it was above a whisper. She softly takes Kara's hands in hers. "I will always love you and protect you. No matter what the cost. As I said, darling. For difficult reasons I couldn't and can't explain."