Chapter Thirty-Seven: Is This the End? Is This Goodbye?

A/N: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE LYRICS NOR MUSIC TO We Are Young NOR When You're Ready

Lena sat on her stairs in front of her door. She stared down at her joined hands and sighed. Today was the day. She doesn't even look over when someone sits down next to her. She sees the swift, light brown hair move as she sits next to her. 

"I made sure nothing was left behind except for a few outfits just in case you decided to come back home for a while and basic stuff the house still needs." Lena nodded at her words, letting her friend know she was listening. "The truck is already on its way to your apartment. It'll be there an hour or two after you land."

Lena nodded again and rested her head on Sam's shoulder. Sam instinctively put her arm around her shoulders and lightly rubbed at her bicep. "I'm not ready," she croaked out.

"I know," Sam whispered back. "I don't think any of us are."

Sam and Lena make their way to the airport in silence. Everyone else was meeting them there for their final goodbyes. Just like on the steps, Lena rested her head on Sam's shoulder all the way, Sam lightly rubbing at her bicep.

When they get there, the sun was setting, making the airport have an orange glow all around it. When they arrive in the private hangar section, Lena sees Alex, Maggie, James, Winn, and Kara there. Each of them had their going away gifts in their hands, and Kara had her guitar slung across her shoulder.

Lena smiled weakly at them. "You guys have been truly amazing friends. Hell, my greatest and best friends I've ever had. From sisterly roles," Lena says, looking at Maggie, who gave her a smile and a two-fingered salute.  "To nerds." She chuckled as she looked at Winn who already had tears in his eyes. "To support systems." Her eyes flickered across to everyone. She turned her head to see Sam. "To best friends." She slowly turned to look Kara dead in the eye. "To the greatest girlfriend ever." She swallowed as she saw Kara give her a small smile. "I could not have asked for a better year. I will never forget it all."

"Dammit, Luthor," Alex exclaimed, her voice slightly cracking.

"You were supposed to make us cry after you left," Maggie explains, roughly wiping away at a stray tear that escaped her eye. 

Lena chuckles at the emotional Sanvers. James cleared his throat to grab their attention. "We have a little somethin' prepared for you."

"This was Lil' Danvers' idea," Maggie adds.

Lena grinned as Kara pulled her guitar over her shoulder. "Should've known."

Kara smiled at her and starts strumming a song for a bit before she starts singing. She looks down at her guitar for a moment, but looks up at Lena when she starts.

A/N: I'll put who's who again. Everyone is underlined

(Kara) Give me a second I
I need to get my story straight
My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State
My lover she's waiting for me just across the bar
My seat's been taken by some sunglasses asking about a scar, and
(Sam) I know I gave it to you months ago, Sam sings as she places her finger on a faint scar below Lena's ear that she gave her years ago, making Lena smile. She walks over to everyone else as she continues,
I know you're trying to forget
But between the drinks and subtle things
The holes in my apologies, you know
I'm trying hard to take it back
(Kara & Sam) So if by the time the bar closes
And you feel like falling down, I'll carry you home