Chapter Seven - Etney Adara

Kim Namjoon

"He doesn't listen to me, you know that.." I shrug, running a hand through the dark, silken hair. I watch the ends flick sparks when they hit against each other like flint.

"I don't see why not, you're a damn sight smarter than him.." Etney grumbles looking over at Yoongi pointedly. I smile and look down at where her head lies comfortably on my stomach. "Joonie.."

I grin knowingly. "Yes, dear."

"Can you help?..." She mumbles so quietly I can barely hear but I gently lift her head off me and mirror her position by rolling onto my stomach.

"What subject is this?" I squint slightly before giving up and reaching for my glasses. Etney smiles and watches me put them on.

"I like you in glasses.." She runs a hand through my hair and smiles.

"I know.."

"Should I leave?.." Yoongi glares from his bed, startling the both of us.

"No! Sorry, Yoongi.." Etney smiles and looks back down at her book. "It's about types of fire.. Our end of year project is perfecting inextinguishable fire but we have to write a health and safety report." She rolls her eyes and I hear Yoongi snort from his bed.

"And you don't get it because?.." I smile, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"It's supposed to be used as a weapon! It's not safe and its purpose is to destroy!" She groans and pushes her book on the floor.

I chuckle and pick it back up. "Yes, but do you want to burn the entire school down?"

"Well clearly not, you're in it.." She grins.

"Ew..." The demon glares pointedly at us.

"Then how are you going to control it in order to keep it contained and not endanger any students, faculty, or school property?" I encourage gently. She's not stupid, she's actually incredibly clever. All the information is in her head, she just needs someone to connect the dots occasionally.

"Oh! So it's not about the spell itself, but the exam!" Her eyes widen, suddenly having thousands of thoughts at once.

"Exactly." I grin proudly and kiss her cheek, letting her do the work herself.

"Weren't we supposed to be doing homework together?.." She frowns, noticing I've already put away the book I was previously writing in.

"I'm kind of done.. I had to write an essay on the powers and uses of leech juice, but I did that during lunch.. And then we had to read the chapter we're starting tomorrow but I did that last week. The only other thing was going over any questions we got wrong in yesterday's test but for me, that was only one answer so I just completed that.." I shrug and lie down on the bed, trailing a hand up and down her warm back. Heat radiates from Etney like she has her own little star inside her, warming her up. I nuzzle into her side and curl around her as much as I can. I vaguely register Yoongi complaining and then making an exit.

"He is coming, right? To the festival.." Etney nibble at the inside of her cheek as she scribbles down her answers.

"I think so.. I hope so..."

"It's the Kalamani's decision who they invite and I want him there.. Jimin can't say or do anything about it." She grumbles and I grunt in agreement.

"He's getting way too cocky. It's like he genuinely thinks they're lesser. It's the 21st Century, we're desegregated. Get a grip." I frown and bury my nose into the fabric of Etney's t-shirt. It's 8ºC and yet she still insists it's warm enough to wear a single thin layer of cotton to keep her sufficiently toasty. I don't get it, but she smells nice.

"Joon.."

"Mmm..." I cuddle her closer and close my eyes ready to take a well-earned nap (I had to run laps today).

"I was going to invite my family to the school's Kalamani festival.. If you're okay meeting them, that is.." I feel her fidget slightly and my eyes are wide open now.

"Oh, really?.."

"Yeah.. I've told them about you.."

"And they're okay with you dating me? Seriously?.. Even with my family's reputation?" I sit up, genuinely confused now.

"Well.. It took some persuading at first, but when they heard about you individually they seemed to like the sound of you." She smiles and puts her book down. "Not all True Clan families are as stuck up as Jimin's, you know?" She raises her eyebrows and smirks slightly.

"I know.. But even so, that means a lot!" I laugh nervously, realising that I no longer have any reason to hide from them. I think of the year before, Etney's first year at Phalaway, and the time she pushed me out onto her balcony in my boxers because her grandfather was making a surprise visit. I then think about the apology sex I got afterwards and my brain is contaminated with images. "Remember the time you gave me pneumonia?" I ponder aloud.

Etney smirks slightly and trails a hand down my chest, humming at the thought. "Why, are you feeling cold?" She smirks.

"Maybe a little.." I bite my lip hopefully and to my delight, her lips melt against mine. I gesture vaguely to the door and hear the lock click shut. Sorry, Yoongi.