Chapter Eighteen - Commination

Nova Theasphreyei

"Remind me why I'm here..?" I grumble to Brynn as the teacher drones on about the same three antibacterial substances she had been monotonously lecturing about for the past forty-five minutes.

"Because dryads and witches both need to learn about herbs and stuff.." She frowns, confused.

"Yes, but I already know all of this!.. And I'm pretty sure I could explain a lot more succinctly than this woman." I complain, a little too loudly.

"Is that so?." The teacher's eyes fix on me and I gulp. Great first impression, Nova. Really well done. "Perhaps, you'd like to give it a go then."

"Well..." I clear my throat. "Firstly, honey. Mostly useful for skin wounds. It tends to be the go-to for deeper wounds as it provides a protective coating whilst keeping the affected area moist which is the best condition for healing. Secondly. Echinacea flowers. They can kill many different kinds of bacteria and are also associated with fighting inflammation. Therefore, these, in the form of an oil, tend to be used on bacterially infected wounds. Lastly, Goldenseal. Probably the most dangerous of the three as it is the only one that can be toxic if too much is consumed. It is normally brewed in a tea and helps with respiratory or digestive problems, but can also help with urinary infections. There is some dispute as to whether it helps to treat skin infections or not. Some have found it does and others have found it was no help at all. Personally, I think it depends on the species you use it on, but I haven't had the opportunity to test that theory out."

The teacher blinks and purses her lips. "Well. Did anyone understand that."

There are various mumblings of agreement as it turns out that more of the class understood from my brief summary than her entire lecture.

"Right. Then, unless there are any questions, class dissmi-"

"I have a question." Brynn raises her hand.

The teacher sighs. "Brynn, your affinity lies with runes and spells, creative magick. It's not surprising that you don't get the fine science of nature's own magick."

"Actually, I understood Nova's explanation perfectly. I think my brain shuts off when you speak for more than ten minutes." The teacher glares as I snort at the comment but Brynn gives neither of us enough time to stall her. "I wanted to know about Min Yoongi. Your husband is in the Senate, isn't he? I want to know why they still have him serving time for a crime that there is no evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, nor any witnesses at all suggesting that he had anything to do with."

Her lips form an incredibly thin line and become so white they may as well not be there at all. "Miss Celan. Min Yoongi has been confirmed as the most likely suspect and is therefore undergoing a punishment to befit his crimes."

"Of being born a demon?." Brynn snaps. "That's like blaming a fish for not being able to fly."

"Miss Celan! That is enough. The moment anyone so much as mentions the name Min Yoongi, they will be sent from this room immediately. It is no longer to be uttered, understood?"

"Which name, Miss?" Brynn frowns.

"Min Yoongi!" She glares and the witch smiles up at her, satisfied as the teacher realises her mistake.

I chuckle and receive a death glare.

"Saturday detention. Both of you." With that, the woman whips up her things and leaves to the sound of the bell ripping through the hallway.

Brynn grumbles to herself as she packs her bag and apologises for getting me into trouble too. I remind her that I was equally as rude to the teacher as her and so probably deserved it, which makes her feel a little less guilty.

"Hey, sweetheart!" Jungkook grins as he runs towards us, lifting Brynn up until her legs wrap around his hips. "Looking forward to our first ever proper date?"

"Can't go." She pouts and the werewolf's face falls immediately.

"Why not? Do I need to punch someone?." He glares.

"I got detention..." She nuzzles her nose into his neck and Taehyung gags exaggeratedly behind them, making me giggle.

"What happened?" He frowns, coming to a stop next to Jungkook.

"She called out a senate member's wife and told her that calling Yoongi the most likely culprit was like blaming a fish for.. What was it?" I frown slightly.

"Not being able to fly..." The witch mumbles into her boyfriend's skin.

"Right! And then the teacher said that she'd send out the next person to say his name and Brynn was like "Who's name?" or something, and basically tricked her into screwing herself over. It was kind of brilliant." I smile and she looks up, beaming back at me.

"Thanks. I liked how you taught her lesson better in two minutes than she had in an hour."

"Thanks." I grin back.

"Jungkook, are our girlfriends becoming best friends?" Taehyung gapes.

"You know what, Tae? You can have Kookie as your best friend. Your girlfriend is an upgrade from you anyway." Brynn smiles sweetly at the faerie who's mouth drops, feigning offended.

He then shrugs and smiles. "I know."

"Yah. No, I'm not." I blush slightly and he pulls me into his arms, which I so was not longing for him to do the whole time Jungkook and Brynn were being disgustingly clingy.

"Ma'am, I'm afraid the governors are firm on the no pet rule." Orin jogs up to us and I sigh, equally as displeased by his presence as the news he brings. I also note Taehyung stiffening at his voice and remind myself to beat the living daylights out of Orin if he merely looks at Tae wrong again.

"What's up?" Brynn frowns, sliding down Jungkook's legs and bouncing slightly as her feet hit the ground.

"They said bunnies aren't allowed at Pharaway." I purse my lips, shrugging slightly as there's nothing I can really do.

"Really? That's odd... They let Jungkook in." Brynn bites her lip, grinning cheekily, and doges behind Taehyung and I.

"Yah! I'm a fridging alpha!" The werewolf practically whines as he tries to reach around the faerie in order to get to his girlfriend.

Taehyung smirks, stepping to the side to block his way. "The only alpha I know who whines and pouts when he doesn't get his way and uses 'fridging' instead of 'fucking'."

"I will maul you to death." Jungkook deadpans.

"Only if you want me to deal with." I raise my eyebrows, smiling slightly. I feel like I have friends. I know that I don't really know them that well, yet. And yes, maybe they're only hanging out with me because they know Tae wants them to. But it's the closest I've come to feeling normal in... Well, ever.

"So, you wanted to come here to play like children?" Orin sneers and shakes his head disapprovingly.

My whole demeanour changes and Brynn even straightens herself, looking at the floor. "Orin. I still haven't forgiven you for what you did to Taehyung. I may not be able to choose who accompanies me here, but I could easily get you fired if my father finds out that was you did was from your own judgement and not even an order. And while you are currently working for my mother, you forget one fundamental detail: when my mother dies, I will be your queen. In short, you may want to reconsider where your loyalties lie."

The faerie shuffles awkwardly on his feet and folds his arms over his chest, attempting to act as if my words hadn't made the slightest difference. Everyone can see otherwise.