Act Four: A Guide to Institutes

There are many magickal institutes around the world. In fact, there are several in most countries. When in doubt, look for religion. If there is a church, mosque, temple, monastery, or any other place of worship; you can be pretty certain that there will be a magickal institute somewhere reasonably close by. This is due to religion being the answer humans have for what they cannot understand. They didn't understand magick, so they put it under a work of God or Satan or Allah or whoever the hell else they wanted.

Institutes are not like schools. They are not structured around age but by ability. This gives magickal beings a chance to get a human education, often at human schools and often at home, before getting a magickal education. However, it gives people who detest school a chance to get out earlier, and people who adore it a chance to stay a while longer.

There are many qualifications that you can get, the first being a five-year course, and then each subsequent qualification being another two years.

Most institutes are co-ed and contain dormitories for all students and staff. As the age ranges are very wide, most will have a separate housing facility for children below a certain age.

Some institutes will specialise in one specific magickal study and therefore will only take certain magickal beings. Other institutes, like Pharaway, take a much more liberal approach as they believe that magickal beings work better when they have contact with other species. Therefore, they except any and all who apply; humans aside, of course.

All institutes also exist as a sanctuary for magickal beings. They are a safe place for anyone to come to, and offer food and shelter for no cost when you are in dire need of it.

Because of this, it is taken incredibly seriously when an institute cannot fulfil one of it's two main purposes: education and safety. If an institute repeatedly fails to keeps it's students safe, it will most likely be closed down.