Chapter Sixteen - Stratification

Nova Theasphreyei

"I understand, Nova. And know that I'm being lenient with you, purely because your abilities of healing and their progression have really impressed me. Having said this, if you complain one more time about our decision concerning that boy, I will have to come down much harder. Is that clear?." My mother glares. I nod, lips pursed. "Good. Onto other matters, seeing as Euclea was clearly finding you too much to handle on her own, she will be joined by another faerie."

My gut clenches. Why do I have a feeling I know exactly who this will be?

"Orin." Euclea spits through her teeth from the windowsill she perches on behind me.

"Girls." He nods to us as he walks into the centre of the room. "I hear you've been acting in the typically undignified manner." He sneers and I cover my mouth to hide the smile that infects my otherwise grumpy face, as Ash buffs up and hisses viciously at the faerie.

"What the fuck is that thing?!" Orin yelps and runs back to the door. Ash immediately settles slightly and rubs against my ankle.

I crouch and scratch between his ears. "He's my bunny." I offer a fake smile at Orin. "Problem?"

"Not at all. Just that you might want to consider investing in a leash." He rolls his eyes and grimaces.

I purse my lips and grab my cape while mumbling something about fresh air.

My eyes scan every face that leaves the servant's exit. People bow and I give a polite nod in return, not willing to be distracted. Mousey blonde hair and a box smile. That's the face I'm looking for. I grin triumphantly and hop off my temporary perch, a thick branch. My smile falters slightly as he laughs again at something a dryad servant says. My lips purse as I walk up to them and clear my throat.

"Oh! Miss Theaspheryei." The dryad bows.

"Hello.. Uh.." I frown. I have no idea who he is.

"Brokk, miss." He smiles awkwardly.

"Right. Yes, Brokk. Hi..." I turn to Taehyung, grinning, but am immediately taken aback by his deep bow.

"Miss Theasphreyei." He doesn't even look at me.

"Taehyung, I wanted to check you're okay." I knit my brows again in confusion. Why is he acting like this?

"Yes, I'm settling in well. Thank you, Miss." He smiles curtly, still not meeting my eyes.

I glare at him and Brokk nudges his arm. The faerie looks at him, confused, and at the dryad's gesture finally meets my eyes. "Good. I'd like a word alone."

His lips purse slightly but he nods.

"I'll see you around, man." Brokk grimaces sympathetically before walking off. I get the urge to slap him, but I don't.

"Tae.."

"Taehyung." His correction is a dagger to the chest.

"Why are you being like this?" I glare.

"Why did you lie to me?." He glares back.

"I-.. Technically, I never lied. I just-"

"Forgot to mention that you practically own me?." He has tears in his eyes and I have no idea why.

"I mean, that's a bit of an exaggeration..." I look away, awkwardly.

"Is it? You could have me killed without anyone even asking why. You can banish me or not let me leave to your heart's content. You rule over me." He spits through gritted teeth.

"Well.. Well, yes. But-... But this is exactly why I didn't tell you." I cross my arms over my chest and glare accusingly.

"This?"

"Yes, this! The way you're treating me."

"What, with respect?"

"It's not just that. It's like I'm not even a person. Like I'm some higher being." He turns away so I grab his wrist and spin him back to face me.

"You're not gonna understand me, Nova. And I'll never understand you." He sighs.

"So you do think I'm some higher being." I laugh bitterly.

"No. I know you are. You've been raised as if you are. Just how I've been raised as if I'm worth less than the dirt on your shoes."

"Why would you think that?" I frown, puzzled, and still slightly offended.

"Nova.. Even your servants are from True Clan families. Where I come from, a True Clan member is practically royalty. You're so high above me, my royalty bows down to you. Do you know how that makes me feel? What I feel like next to you?" The tears swell again.

"But.. That's stupid."

"Thanks." He laughs resentfully.

"No, not you! Just.. That where we were born could mean you're worth less than me."

"But it does."

"Why?."

"Because your parents would do anything for you. Right?." He's properly glaring now. I actually feel slightly intimidated.

"Well.. I guess so..."

"Mine too. The difference is, my parents had to die so I could have a future. Whereas yours let people like my parents die just so yours is even better." His jaw is clenched and my mine is lax, open in shock. He'd never mentioned his parents before.

"Taehyung.. I didn't know..."

"As soon as I can get out of here, I'm going home. Until then, please just ignore me."

His wrist slips from my grip and I watch him walk away in silence.

***

Kim Taehyung

I grit my teeth and push harder through the pain, watching the brush's bristles flick soap in all directions.

"Yah. There's a difference between a bit of elbow grease and pushing past your limits. Take a break, Tae." Brokk raises his eyebrows.

I purse my lips slightly and ignore him, pushing harder.

"Taehyung. Yah!" He sighs and walks over, kneeling behind me and pulling me up so my back is against his torso.

"Let me go." I growl, trying to shake him off.

"You're wrist only just healed, right? Don't strain it just because of a scuff mark on the fucking floor." The dryad chuckles and kisses my neck. My eyes close and my head falls back onto his shoulder.

"I want to go home..." I can't help the single tear that falls down my cheek.

"I know.. That's what I am, right? A distraction." His lips suck gently and it feels good. But it's not enough.

"I'm not in the mood." I lift my head up and go to restart my orders but his hand slips underneath my shirt.

"Can I get you in it?" The dryad's lips trail up my jawline and down to my collarbone. I chuckle and bite my bottom lip.

"Always so eager to please..." I hum softly as he finds my sweet spot. "We should at least wait until we're done. What if someone walks in?"

"No one uses this hallway. It only leads to the vaults of old records and diaries and stuff." Brokk brushes my comment aside and continues his attack on my neck. My eyes flutter shut as I feel him press his body closer to mine and suck hard enough to leave a mark. A moan escapes my lips and I cling to the fabric of his shirt.

The door creaks and my eyes burst open. Nova.