Chapter Thirteen - Kalamani Status

Etney Adara

"No, you're completely right! They are definitely fucking." I grin, pulling Brynn's phone screen closer to get a better look at the photo she's showing me.

"See?! I told you 2Wish is real!!" Brynn sticks her tongue out at Jungkook who just rolls his eyes.

"I'm not saying they definitely aren't, just that it could be fan service." He pokes her tongue earning a grimace from the little witch.

"Not with the way they look at each other. They are so whipped!" I go to pass Brynn her phone back and smile at the now play-fighting couple. Jungkook keeping a giggling Brynn at arms-length except occasionally kissing the tip of her nose or licking her hand - both to stir a reaction from the younger but two very different ones.

I sense movement from my left and see Namjoon walking down from Vinder's dorm-rooms.

"Okay, guys. I'll see you around..." I mumble as I get to my feet. I hear him walking after me and purse my lips.

"Etney! Please just tell me how I can get you to forgive me. What do you want me to do? I can't apologise any more than I already have, but I can't take you hating me any longer." He pleads, stopping in his tracks. I doubt he would follow me, he usually respects my need for space, but the offer of a private conversation is there.

"I don't know if I can, Namjoon." I sigh, turning to face him.

"What? I screwed up, I should have told you. I know that. But it was a mistake. One mistake." He frowns, taking a step closer.

"You lied to me throughout our entire relationship! That's not 'one mistake'." My fists are clenched tightly so that my nails begin digging into the skin there.

"I didn't want to endanger you even more than I already had." He looks down, ashamed. I know he feels bad for what he did. I just don't know if I'm ready to forgive him yet.

"That's not your decision to make! You don't get it, Joon. I swore oaths for you. I pleaded for my family to accept you and the only reason they did that was because you were so open and honest with me. And you weren't! Your entire Kalamani status is now a lie. It's my duty to tell the high priestess so she can revoke it but I haven't! I'm breaking the law for you. I'm going against my people for you! And you want to say you're sorry?" I laugh, hands flying in the air in desperation.

"Then revoke it. I'll prove myself again. Somehow..." He grits his teeth determinedly.

"I.. I don't want to." It's my turn to look away now, my guilt beginning to rise up in my chest.

"But you hate not being honest. I don't mind! It's not ideal, but I dug my own grave. I hate that I've done this to you and I didn't even realise. I'm so sorry." He shakes his head, turning to leave.

"But.. Joonie..." I sniff, feeling hot tears in my eyes, and immediately I feel his arms enveloping my entire body. "I'm too scared. I can't tell them the truth..."

"Why not? What's scaring you, baby?" He strokes my hair in the way that always calms me down.

"What if they don't let you have status anymore?" I push him away gently, allowing him to cup my cheeks.

"Then I don't have status." He shrugs. "As long as I have you and the people I love are safe, I'm happy."

"But. It's against the law for a Kalama to marry someone without Kalamani status..." I look away sadly.

He chuckles. "You want to marry me?"

I gulp, blush immediately swarming over my cheeks. "S-Some day..."

"Then I better think of a damn good way to get some status back, hmm?" He kisses my forehead and pulls me into a tight hug. "Please don't keep things from me again. Even if you think you're doing it for me, just don't. I thought you hadn't forgiven me and I was so worried I was going to lose you."

"I forgave you ages ago... I don't like it, but I get it. And I promise not to if you do, Joon. You kept me out of everything too." I raise my eyebrows.

He smiles nervously and looks away. "Okay, I promise too. Sorry about that."

We stare at each other for a while, not having to say anything as we finally find comfort in each other once again. I know I should have talked to him sooner, but I can't deal with emotions. I grin as he pulls me into a kiss, melting as our lips meet.

"So if we get married will I have to take your name?" He leans back, arms looping around my waist.

"I mean that's the tradition, but we can just both keep our own. I don't mind." I shrug. "And my parents aren't too conventional. They'd be fine with it."

The warlock nods, thinking as we start walking back into Vinder. "Hmm... Namjoon Adara. It doesn't sound too bad."

~~~~~

It's another short one... And also a bit of a filler... I'm sorry if you're bored, it will go back to utter angst next chapter, though, I promise!!!