Chapter Seventeen - Change & Progression

Kim Seokjin

Laila nibbles at her cheek nervously, arm interlinked with Hoseok's as they sit on the sofa in front of the armchair I currently reside in. She keeps glancing at me and then looking away. I smile, finding it incredibly endearing.

"Laila, what are you thinking about?" I lean forward slightly and she immediately smiles as I sound her name.

"Just.. Have you thought any more about what I said?" She looks away, fingers tapping agitatedly on her thighs.

I sigh and look down. "I keep thinking about it. And I'm still torn. It's a pretty serious decision, love."

"And I'm serious about you." She grins, slipping away from Hosoek and instead, seats herself on my lap. I wrap my arms around her waist, her touch immediately calming me - not that I was that stressed in the first place. "And don't rush a decision. Yes, I want an answer as soon as possible, but I don't actually need one. I have all the time in the world."

"Baby, that's kind of the point. You wouldn't if we went through with this." I purse my lips slightly.

"Are you talking about becoming his guardian angel?" Hoseok's eyes widen and his mouth drops slightly.

"Yeah..." Laila hums thoughtfully and turns in my lap.

"And, wait... Jin's against it? But you're for it?" He frowns.

"I'm not against it, I just don't think it's a decision we should rush into. There's a lot that we should think about first! That would be an incredibly permanent change and I don't think we should make that kind of change until we know for certain that being together for the rest of lives is not only what we want but also a viable option. I don't think it's something we should jump into while both of us are still in education. Yes, Laila is a student half of the time and a tutor the other, but still. I don't think we're ready. But Laila seems to be under the impression that not yet means never and then gets all pouty." I raise my eyebrows, kissing her cheek lovingly.

"I just don't get why it's such a hard decision. What else is there to think about? What would change once I'm out of education? You're the most important thing in my life and so I don't see any reason to hold it off any longer." She shrugs and, as per usual, pouts.

Hoseok just blinks at us. I imagine that he's thinking about talking to Kai and I immediately feel bad about the conversation I had with him before.

As if on cue, the Kalama enters the room and carefully seats himself next to Hoseok. The angel beams at him and goes to cuddle his arm but Kai gently stops him. "I need a word.. In private..." He mumbles it quietly and I know I'm not supposed to hear. Hoseok nods, leading him behind Laila and I, to the corner of the room and away from the rest of the group. I try to distract myself from their conversation - it being none of my business - by watching a newly love-revived Namjoon and Etney. The warlock runs his fingers through the fire-filled locks of his girlfriend as she mutters sweet nothings to him. They're not often so openly cute and their inability to control this sense of romance makes me smile. It does not, however, manage to distract me from the words behind me.

"I get why you wouldn't want it, giving up more than two-thirds of your lifespan would be scary. But you should have at least told me." I can hear the genuine pain in Kai's voice. "We agreed on no lies, Hobi. I keep nothing from you, even when legally I shouldn't tell you about the trials and such, and yet it seems like every year I find out something that you should have told me years ago."

"I-I know, I'm sorry." The angel truly sounds guilty. "I just feel somewhat responsible for you a-"

"Why? Because you were my teacher for a few years? Because you've lived longer? Or a new excuse to the add to the usuals?" Kai chuckles sadly, it could almost be bitter but his voice is too laced with love and slight concern.

"No matter the reason, because I already feel like that, if I were to become your guardian angel I'm scared that I wouldn't be able to let you in at all anymore. I might feel as though I couldn't talk to you about anything. It's a very drastic change and I just don't want it to affect us because I like how we are." He sniffs. Oh god, he's crying.

The Kalama shushes him and I hear a few gentle kisses. "I understand, baby. You're all I have, you know that. Everyone else in my life has left for some reason or another and I know that I'm a little suffocating, I'm sorry. But you have to realise that you keeping this from me is... It hurts me."

Another little snuffle. "You're not suffocating, Kai. I always want you close to me. And you're all I have too! But that's why it scares me so much; I can't afford to lose you."

"You're never going to lose me. I think we've proved that by now, don't you? Guardian angel or not, we're sticking together like velcro no matter what. Hmm?" They both chuckle softly and then I hear nothing for a few moments.

"What do you think?" Hoseok asks, intrigued.

"Hmm?"

"About it as an option. Would you consider it?" The angel probes again.

"Maybe, I don't know." He mumbles, face presumably in the elder's neck. "I don't know that much about it except that you'd live as long as I do."

"It's not quite that. It averages out - my lifespan and yours." The angel corrects the younger.

"So, I'd gain around a hundred years and you'd lose around a hundred?" The Kalama whistles softly.

"More like a hundred and fifty, but yes. That's another reason why I was so hesitant to tell you. I didn't know how you'd react to the thought of living that long."

"Honestly, that's not even what my brain immediately goes to. I automatically imagine adopting children and raising them with you. Becoming parents and then grandparents and then great-grandparents, one day. I see us having a proper life and supporting each other. As opposed to me keeping you on my arm like a flipping toy boy until eventually, I'm old enough that you practically become my carer..." Kai sighs, clearly somewhat pained.

"But I wouldn't mind." Hoseok interjects.

"I know you wouldn't. But I would. I'd feel like a burden. But, obviously, if you want to keep going without it then I'd understand. It's your decision, not mine."

"It should be a mutual decision." The angel chides.

"Sorry, Sir." Kai teases. I hear another soft kiss and smile at their comfort around each other. "Then, let's not rush. We have time. Let's just keep it as a hypothetical for a while."

I hope that one day when we inevitably have a big fight, Laila and I will be able to sort out whatever issue it is as well as these two can.

I frown at the limping figure entering Vinder. Brynn immediately runs up to the faerie and hugs him quickly but tightly before linking hands with the werewolf who follows him.

"How did it go? Are you feeling okay?" She frowns worriedly at Taehyung.

Jungkook nods and wraps an arm around her. "It's all good. He's accepted and it took well."

My brow furrows as I try to make sense of this conversation.

Nova quickly makes her way over to the trio. "Tae? Are you okay?! You look half dead and people are saying you didn't come back last night."

"I'm okay." He smiles and kisses her cheek.

"Okay, but what happened?" She cups his cheeks and inspects the bags under his eyes.

"Nothing. I'm fine, don't worry." He looks away from her and she purses her lips slightly.

"Tae, you c-" Brynn starts.

"It's nothing." The faerie looks pointedly at the little witch who immediately bows her head in acceptance and apology.

Nova nods almost sadly. "I'll leave you guys alone then..."