⁰⁷, TWO HIGH-SCHOOLERS WALK INTO A BAR. . .

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 . . . 𝘛𝘸𝘰 𝘏𝘪𝘨𝘩-𝘚𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘭𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘞𝘢𝘭𝘬 𝘐𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘈 𝘉𝘢𝘳. . .
❝ What's a girl like you doing in a place like this all alone

  LORELAI GILMORE WAS acting strange. Like, stranger than normal kind of strange. Charlie had been sitting at the kitchen table for thirteen minutes, pretending like she hadn't seen her mother walk by twenty-two times while downing a cup of coffee and attempting to finish her homework from the night prior.

  "Aren't you ever going to acknowledge me?"

  "I share a room with Rory, I've mastered the art of ignoring drama queens," Charlie muttered into her cup of caffeine, only making her mother whine and slump into a seat. "Okay, fine, what is with you this morning?"

  "Well, since you asked," Lorelai said, sitting up fully, "Are you seeing Jess?"

  "Am I seeing Jess?" Charlie repeated, "Like, today? Yes, he goes to school with me—"

  "No, hon, are you seeing Jess?"

  "Oh, for Pete's sake."

  "Oh, come on," The woman tried as Charlie stood abruptly, shoving her things in her backpack, "When are you going to start talking to me about these things?"

  "There's nothing to talk about, Jess and I are just friends."

  "Just friends hang out in Luke's supply closet?"

  "It was a staff meeting."

  "Oh yeah, why wasn't Luke there?"

  "This is why I don't talk to you about anything," Charlie pointed, "You pry and pry and don't believe me."

  "You don't have a good reputation with telling the truth."

  "You do realize this is about Jess, right? That's what you're arguing with me about—" 

  "There is no arguing here, we are not arguing," Lorelai said, gesturing between herself and her daughter who was now walking towards the door, "Hey, missy, don't you walk away from me—!"

  "Sorry, Mom, but I should probably get to school— maybe Rory will be home earlier than I will and you can overstep into her life and stay out of mine."

  Charlie felt the horrendous bubble of guilt hit her stomach when she slammed the front door shut, but pride propelled her down the steps and towards Stars Hollow High. She'd never admit it, and Lorelai would never realize it, but Charlie Gilmore wasn't a fan of arguing.