²¹, BAKING AISLE

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 . . . B𝘢𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘈𝘪𝘴𝘭𝘦
❝ You're using a stolen nickname. ❞

  "I WANT MY KID back."

  "She's not a borrowed umbrella."

  "No, she's my kid and I want her back."

  Lorelai Gilmore had assumed Charlie would return to the Crap Shack after an hour of sulking, and silently slip into her bed. She had gone to sleep, safely presuming both of her children would be in their room that morning and would hold off a lecture about roaming the town at night until then.

  Except Charlie Gilmore was not in her bed that night or the following morning. Rory Gilmore had even been sure to crack the window of their bedroom just enough so that Charlie's fingers to wedge it open if she stayed out longer than expected, but all Rory got was a stuffy nose when she awoke and the window was still open, and her sister's bed lay untouched.

  So Lorelai Gilmore had been running around Stars Hollow all morning, until smacking herself on the forehead for not checking Luke's Diner first.

  "She was really upset last night."

  "I'm glad you're worried but, that is my kid—!"

  "Don't yell at him." Lorelai snapped her attention to Charlie, still dressed in Jess' clothes, "He didn't do anything."

  "What are you wearing?"

  "I was soaking wet," Charlie crossed her arms, "What are you doing here?"

  "Bringing you back home. This is not a debate."

  "Are you even sorry?" The teen questioned, dropping her arms as if they were ten-ton weights, "Or did you already forget what happened?"

  "Hey, I am the mom here, you can't lecture me."

  "Being my mom doesn't make you always right," Charlie fired back, "God, you complain about grandma but you can't even admit when you did something wrong!"

  The girl hurried from the diner, yet again running from her mother. Luke and Lorelai both remained silent until Jess hurried downstairs and right after Charlie.

  Lorelai stood still, absorbing the words her daughter had thrown at her in a small fit of rage. They couldn't have been true. . . could they? Lorelai was far more relaxed with her daughters than Emily was with her. 

  Well, in all fairness, Charlie required more discipline, Rory had always simply done the right things. Followed the rules, helped around the house, chose to spend time with her mother, and. . .