²³, COLD COFFEE CUPS

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 . . . Cold Coffee Cups
❝ This isn't a broken toy, this is my life. ❞

 "CHARLIE, YOUR DAD is here."

  Lorelai had expected there to be some sort of problem, Charlie wasn't ever exactly thrilled to spend time with her father, but she could hardly anticipate the scene the eldest Gilmore child would cause.

  "Which is exactly why I think we should just tell him I ran away to Oregon or Washington or something."

  Lorelai paused her panicked cleaning to give her daughter a deadpan look.

  "Okay, fine, just tell him I had to pick up a shift at Luke's," Charlie sighed, crossing her arms, "Come on, you know he needs help! I also need to finish up my project, it's due Friday."

  "Charlie—"

  "Momma—!"

  "An hour," Lorelai pointed, "Final offer. Stay here for an hour then head to Luke's, okay?"

  "Not up for debate?"

  "No, ma'am."

  "Okay," Charlie mumbled, pouting out her bottom lip as a knock sounded on the door. Lorelai pinched the girl's cheek before turning to answer the door.

  Charlie was sat in the armchair beside Chris, Lorelai, Rory, and Sherrie on the couch. Sherrie was focusing on Rory, attempting to relate in any way possible. Charlie could tell she was trying with her as well, but it was transparent that Sherrie and Charlie couldn't have been any more different.

Sherrie insisted she help Lorelai get water, leaving the father and daughters alone in the living room.

"How are you, Charlie?" The girl's eyes widened, not expecting the attention to be on her.

"Uh, good, yeah, fine."

"That's good," He nodded, "No debate team for you, huh?"

"Well, you know, Stars Hollow High doesn't have one." Charlie forced a laugh.

"Why don't you go to Chilton?" Rory tightened her lips awkwardly at her dad's question, "You're smart enough."

"It's not about being smart enough," Charlie shrugged, "It's just not my thing."

"It's an amazing school, and it looks great on college applications," Chris smiled, "I don't see why you wouldn't go."

"I just didn't want to, can we drop it?" The air was tense, "Please?"

"Sure," Christopher nodded, just as Sherrie came into the room. The phone rang, and after persuasion from her mother Rory picked it up. The call was odd, and Charlie could tell, but it ended and her Mom came back to join the group again.