³⁴, CLOSING UP FOR THE NIGHT

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. . . 𝘊𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘜𝘱 𝘍𝘰𝘳 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘕𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵
❝ But don't worry, we'll remind him you're the angel compared to us. ❞

  THE CRAP SHACK had never been so quiet. Charlie arrived home late, sharing nothing more than a brief 'goodnight' with her mother before slipping into bed and falling deeply asleep. The tension remained the following morning, as Charlie poured over her books on the kitchen table and her mother wandered in groggily.

  "Morning," Charlie mumbled, zipping up her backpack, "I'm working at Luke's after school today, so I'll be home late."

  Lorelai let out a huff, frowning as her daughter turned.

  "What?"

  "Can you sit?" Lorelai asked, "I don't want this weird thing anymore."

  "The weird thing is your opinion of my boyfriend who has done nothing wrong."

  "Charlie, I understand that the Jess you know is different than the one I do," Lorelai started calmly, "I want to try, I have been trying, but at the end of the day what matters to me is your safety, okay?"

  "It was an accident!"

  "You still lied about it," Lorelai noted with a raised eyebrow, "Yes, I have my own opinions about Jess, but if you are going to be. . . so determined to keep him in your life, I'm going to try, okay?"

  Charlie's eyes lit up.

  "Really?"

  "But no more lies, okay?" Lorelai questioned, "I don't want that to be us, Charlie, I want you to be able to be honest with me. I try if you do."

  Charlie nodded quickly, a small smile growing on her face.

  "On another note, Hon, I do really thing you need to try to talk to Rory," Lorelai sighed, "I know it was an invasion of privacy, but it's almost been a month, there has to be a better situation than this avoidance thing."

  "I know, but if it doesn't go well. . ."

  "Then I'll drop it," Lorelai said, raising her hands, "Scouts honor."

  Charlie smiled again, pulling her mom into a tight hug.

"Oh!" Lorelai jolted, "Hey, there's a graduation ceremony for my school, wanna come?"

"Is that even a question?"

  Charlie Gilmore didn't mind closing Luke's as long as Jess Mariano was working with her. She realized that on this particular night, as Liam and Emma lingered as the last customers of the night, splitting a large order of chili-cheese fries, chatting animatedly with Charlie about Liam's latest game-winning score.