Chapter 3

~Y/n's POV~

        Charlie quickly claimed the room near the bathroom, I could care less what room I'd get. At-least I'd have a bedroom with privacy.

I slowly dug my clothes out of my suitcase and threw it on the mattress, wincing at the lack of items I had in the carrier.

The room gave me shivers the longer I stayed.

       It had creaky floorboards, obviously loose by age, and sleeked with dust. My eyes grazed over the long streaked brown stains on the baby-blue wallpaper. Peppered all over like engravings in tree bark.

My bed was shit, just a blowup mattress with my leather jacket as a blanket--chipped and torn by old age. 

      My eyes darted towards the window, fogged by the humid outside air. The curtains were tied and pushed aside by a teal rope, seemingly newer than the window itself. The shades had weird red splatters from maybe a paint spill. At least, I hope it's paint.

"Yeah I know," my dad popped up.

I jolted, letting out a squeak in surprise of his presence.

     He smirked and continued, "I promise I'll find a job here and get you a bed. Or at-least a blanket."

    I gave him a soft look and hugged him, my hands barely touching on his back. I took in a deep breath and exhaled, "I love you."

"I love you too, honey," he said and wrapped his thick arms around my shoulders.

        The temperature had dropped a few degrees in that moment, it was enough that we saw our breaths in the air and goosebumps rise on our skin. My eyes involuntarily went to the window, there wasn't a draft, and the window wasn't frozen. How in the hell is it so cold?

Dad let go and shivered, "Damn, it's cold too."

       I stayed silent, feeling my heart quicken as my eyes flickered over at the dark shadowed corner. My fight and flight response instantly went off. I couldn't tell if it was a glint of my reflection, or if it was a wet spot on the wall; but I could see a pair of golden eyes stare at me back.

Then...they vanished.

"Uh, I'll leave to let you pack." Dad used that as an excuse to escape the room, knowing I had nothing to arrange in my room. "I'll go check up on your brother."

      I gave him a nod with a smile as he left, but it quickly faded as I stared at the corner. It seemed to draw me in, like a hook deep in my cheek.

       My eyes never left the corner when I reached for my phone, I grasped it firmly and turned the flashlight on. I shot it at the corner but was only met with extra details of the rundown home; long cracks and mold.

But something caught my eye.

         I approached it with caution, I crouched and reached towards the foreign object. How come I didn't see this?

It was a paper boat; glossed and sticky to the touch.

"Maybe...from the previous owner?" I muttered to myself.

      I thinned my lips and observed the coating until I flipped it on the back. I had to slap a hand over my mouth to keep in my scream. Something was inscribed on the back:

'Welcome to Derry, Y/n! '