23. The Break-Up Club

"This is nice," Caroline said with a smile, taking a sip of her drink as she stretched her legs out in front of her. "I feel like we haven't hung out in ages."

Caroline and Riley were at Elena's house for a BBQ that Damon had organized in order to find out more about possible werewolf Mason Lockwood. Jenna and Alaric were also in attendance.

"Yeah," Elena said. "I thought this would be a good idea. A lot's changed lately."

"You can say that again," Riley muttered darkly.

Caroline looked away for a moment, thinking of a conversation topic. "So... how have you been?" she asked Riley, desperate for them to regain the friendship they had before she became a vampire.

"Um..." between the possible werewolves, her vampire bestie and the doppelganger threatening to kill her mom, Riley wasn't sure how to answer. "Fine."

"What about you, Care?" Elena asked brightly. "How's the whole... vampire thing?"

Caroline nodded. "It's... pretty good. Except for the bloodlust. Y'know, fighting the urge for blood every minute of every day."

"That must be tough," Riley said, trying to be sympathetic. "I mean, I can't imagine wanting to murder every single human I came across."

Elena agreed. "I know. Stefan really hates that part of himself."

"Yeah," Caroline nodded. "And he hates that you're a constant temptation."

Elena lost track of her thoughts for a moment. "He said that?"

"Are you surprised?" Riley wondered aloud. "I mean, it makes sense. As a vampire, your senses are heightened. I guess the more you love the person, the more you want to drink their blood."

"Definitely," Caroline added. "It's why I had to break up with Matt."

"You broke up with Matt?" Riley blurted out, this piece of information taking her by surprise. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Caroline shrugged, trying not to think about hurting the guy that she loved. "You haven't exactly been willing to talk lately," she told her friend. "But it's totally fine, I mean, I get it."

Riley began to feel an immense amount of guilt. Yes, Caroline was a vampire, yes, she drank blood to survive, yes, she had killed someone. But she was Caroline.

"I'm so sorry," Riley said immediately. "I've been a total bitch. You've been going through something huge and... I should have been there for you."

"You're here now," Caroline reminded her. "And that's all that I care about."

They hugged tightly. And to Riley, it didn't feel like she was hugging an undead creature, but rather, her blonde, bubbly, beautiful best friend.

"Well, now that you two are good," Elena butted in. "Would it be OK if I abandoned you and went to Stefan's?"

"You want to leave?" Caroline asked, trying to keep her cool.

"It's just that he hasn't called me back, and I'm starting to get this bad feeling."

"You should get used to that," Riley said quickly, causing Elena to turn and look at her in surprise. "You're dating a vampire, Elena. He'll always be off doing mysterious things that have nothing to do with you. And if you bother him, you'll come across like a clingy girlfriend."

"I'm not being clingy," Elena said, slightly offended by Riley's comment. "I'm just concerned."

"How about I drive you?" Caroline volunteered, thinking on her feet. Following Katherine's demands, she had to keep Elena away from Stefan today, no matter what it took.