27. War of the Wolves

Staying with Caroline was nice. She didn't stop talking, so Riley didn't have to think about what was happening in her own life. She knew every detail of Tyler's first full moon, and when they'd heard from Elena that Damon's 'friend' Rose had been killed by a female werewolf called Jules, they tried to ignore the possibility that she wasn't the only new werewolf in town. Now, Riley was biting the bullet and driving home – she had to face her parents sometime, right?

As she drove towards her home, she ended up stopping the car abruptly, almost running over a man lying in the road.

"Damn it!" she said under her breath, getting out of the car. "Are you OK? Sir?"

When the figure, face down and dressed in black, didn't respond, she ran back to the car, ready to call the sheriff. However, when she turned back, the person in the road was standing right in front of her.

She jumped in fright, then rolled her eyes.

"Damon! What the hell are you doing?!"

He swayed on the spot, it was clear he was in bad shape.

"I'm lost."

"You live that way," she reminded him, pointing in the direction of the Salvatore house.

"Not that kind of lost," he said, rolling his eyes, still swaying. There was an intense sadness in his eyes that he was clearly trying to cover up with alcohol and blood.

"Get in the car," Riley demanded. "I'll take you home."

"I don't wanna go home!" Damon said, acting like a petulant child. The only thing missing was a foot stamp.

Riley crossed her arms, planting her feet firmly on the ground and taking on an authoritative stance. "Well you're not staying in the street and feeding on poor innocent people," she said, trying not to look at the blood on the side of his mouth. "Come on."

She walked him around to the passenger side, then got into her own side and started to drive.

"I heard about Rose," she said softly. "I'm sorry."

He scoffed. "I don't care about Rose," he lied. "She was just a distraction."

"A distraction from what?" Riley asked curiously. "Katherine?"

"No!" he said. Then he turned and focused his blue eyes on her. "I'm in love with Elena."

Riley had to focus on the road to stop herself from swerving the car. She wasn't surprised by this information (you didn't have to be a genius to work out his true feelings), but she was surprised that he was admitting it.

"You're... what?"

He shrugged and turned to face the window, looking out at they reached the house. They sat in silence until she parked and killed the engine.

Riley spoke gently. "She's Stefan's girlfriend."

"You don't think I know that?!" he asked harshly, facing her once again. "Just... tell me what to do."

Riley's eyes widened. "I don't know what to do!"

Damon rolled his eyes and slid out of the car. "You're useless."

"You're an ass," she said, following him in to make sure that he didn't fall down and knock himself out on the way.

Stefan frowned when he saw them walk in together – he thought Damon was still asleep upstairs.

"What..."

"Don't ask," Riley interrupted. "I've done my good deed for the day. Now can I go home, or is there something less fun for me to do here?"