29. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

"The old Fell property actually starts just beyond that fence," Jenna said. She was taking Elijah on a tour of some of the historical sights of Mystic Falls. As Elena was otherwise occupied at her family's lake house with Stefan, Riley had reluctantly volunteered to accompany them. As much as she didn't want to be around Elijah, she didn't want to leave Jenna alone with him either.

"Ah, the Fells. One of the founding families," Elijah said, a slight sarcastic tone to his words.

"You say that like the founding families don't exist," Riley commented. "You have a problem with the founders?"

"My research showed me that this area was actually settled almost two full centuries earlier. It was a migration of townsfolk towards the northeast. Which means that the ever-lauded founding families, never actually 'found' anything."

"Well, I bet it was the men that made a big deal about being founders back in 1860," Jenna said.

"Of course it was," Riley agreed, looking up at Elijah. "Men lie."

Elijah chuckled as Ric walked up to them. Like Riley, he was also wary about Jenna spending time alone with the Original vampire.

"Elijah, this is my friend, and Riley's history teacher, Alaric Saltzman."

"I thought I'd tag along, being a history buff and all," Ric said, looking Elijah up and down, not sure what to make of him. "Where to next?"

"I've got a list in the car, just give me a sec," Jenna excused herself with an apologetic smile at Elijah.

"I'll come with you," Ric jumped in, walking her away from the vampire.

Riley and Elijah kept walking forwards. "Alaric is on Elena's list of loved ones to protect," he observed.

"Yep," Riley nodded. "He's important to her, to all of us. Why, are you planning on sacrificing him too?"

"I'm not doing this out of spite," he told her gently. "I have to kill Klaus."

"We all want to kill Klaus," Riley reminded him. "We've never met him, and he's already trying to tear our lives apart. But none of us are willing to let Elena die to do it."

"There is no other way," he informed her. "If there was, he'd already be dead."

"There's always another way," Riley insisted, before shrugging. "But do what you have to do Elijah, why do you care what I think anyway?"

"Because I don't want you to stop seeing the good in people," he said, not looking at her as he continued to walk. She didn't respond, not knowing what to say. She didn't want to stop seeing the good in people either.

"OK," Jenna said, coming back over with Alaric. "Next?"

***

"Did you get anything out of Elijah?" Damon asked Riley and Ric. They were sitting in the Grill with him and his new compelled girlfriend Andie Star.

"Nope," Riley said regretfully. "He's still planning for the sacrifice to go ahead, he says that there's no other way."

"He's a smug ass," Ric said, before rolling his eyes. "Of course, Jenna thinks he's charming."

Damon smirked. "You sound jealous." Then he turned to Andie. "Sound a bit jealous?"

"Kinda do," Andie said with a smile.

"Definitely do," Riley added. "And maybe you should. I mean, for... what he is, he's very charming."

Damon gave her a disapproving glare.