121. The Evil Deal

Riley watched Damon kill another vampire. Since getting the new and improved list from Rayna, they hadn't stopped moving, killing as many vampires as they could get their hands on.

"I don't know," she said into her phone. "A week, maybe? Or a few weeks?" she smiled. "Thanks for covering for me, Seline. I owe you one."

She ended the call just as Damon was burning the mountain of vampire bodies that they'd piled together.

"Stefan and Matt have finished Huntsville and Birmingham, and they're on the way to South Carolina. Plus, Ric and Caroline have joined the team," he informed her.

Together, they got back into his car.

"We don't have time," she said, shaking her head in frustration. "There's too many of them. Damon, what if we can't do this?"

Instinctively, he took her hand, intertwining their fingers. She wanted to let go, but the feeling of his hand grounded her, bringing back feelings that she no longer wanted to bury.

"Don't do that," he instructed sharply. "I didn't spend three years in a coffin trying to protect you guys just to let Bonnie die."

Riley looked over at him. "Being in that coffin really changed you, huh?"

He shrugged, taking his hand out of hers so he could start the engine.

"I don't know about that. I just... Never want you or Bonnie to look at me the way you did that night in the storage locker. I don't want to be the person that makes you cry."

Riley bit her lip nervously. "Speaking of crying... why didn't I get a letter?"

He knew this was coming, but that didn't stop Damon from shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

"Come on!" Riley nudged him. "It's one of the things that's always bothered me over the years. I mean, I get why you gave one to Ric - because it was easier than going all the way to Dallas. And I get why you gave one to Bonnie - because you didn't want to face her. But... why not me?"

He sighed. "It was easier, okay?"

Riley raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Not writing me a letter was easier than abandoning me without a goodbye?"

After a second of hesitation, Damon nodded.

"Imagining you going to Portland and gradually forgetting about me was easier than thinking about writing a note to tell you that we were never gonna see each other again."

Riley shook her head. "I still can't believe you thought that was a good idea," she fumed quietly.

"I didn't," he clarified. "I thought it was the right thing to do. But I probably would have stuck around if I knew that you'd get tangled up with the Armory."

Looking out of the window, Riley ignored his statement.

He peered at her, and his voice took on a more gentle tone.

"Seriously Fletch... What's going on? You're better than the Armory."

Riley smirked callously. "I'm guessing this means you talked to Enzo? Well don't worry, what I do isn't your problem. Or Enzo's."

"You know, not to give the guy any credit, but he's actually worried about you."

Riley sighed deeply. In all honesty, she was worried about herself. When she first joined the Armory, she promised herself that she'd only stay for a little while... just until she found out everything she could about the Phoenix Stone, and why she was connected to it. But even though they knew nothing that could help her, she still stayed. And then...