132. American Horror Story

Damon cradled Riley in his arms, laying her on the couch as gently as he could, grimacing when she winced.

"We should be with Bonnie," she said softly, the pain coming through in her voice. "She shouldn't be alone right now."

"Being alone is exactly what Bonnie wants right now," he reminded her. "Plus, we're probably the two people that remind her of Enzo the most."

Riley nodded. "I just hate the thought of her dealing with this by herself. I hate the thought of her being hurt, because of us, again."

"This isn't our fault," Damon told her. "This is all Cade. He's the reason that Stefan turned his humanity off in the first place, and he's the reason that you guys went to the safe house."

"That's not gonna matter to Bonnie," she warned him, shifting her position slightly. "Or to Enzo, wherever he is. Whatever way you look at it, Stefan's the one that did this. And if Bonnie hadn't given him the cure, he would have done a lot worse."

"I know," Damon nodded guiltily, stroking her cheek. "He would have killed you."

Riley placed her hand over his. "You would have got there in time," she asserted. She shifted her position again and felt an agonizing pain tear through her body. "Ow, ow, ow, ow!"

Immediately Damon bit his wrist and kneeled in front of her, offering her his blood. She feebly attempted to push his hand away.

"You need to drink," he told her firmly. Riley shook her head stubbornly.

"I've had your blood," she reminded him. "And it did nothing."

Damon frowned, a worried crease appearing between his eyebrows. "Well, maybe we should go to the hospital?"

"I don't think that'll be necessary," the other voice in the room said. They both looked up and noticed, for the first time, that Cade was sitting in an armchair across from them. "Forgive me, I let myself in." He stood up. "I came to offer my condolences. I'm sorry for your loss."

Riley scoffed. "You're the reason that my best friend is dead. Screw your condolences."

"Actually, I was referring to Stefan," Cade continued. "The deal I made was for two immortal souls. You and your friends found a loophole when they made Stefan human, rendering our agreement null and void. He and Damon are now free."

Damon glared at him skeptically. "Well, if you're making house calls, I'm guessing it's not that easy."

"While you remain immortal, Stefan does not," Cade informed the vampire. "Which means I'm free to end his life and recall his soul to the fiery pits of my world whenever I choose. I'm thinking he should die at midnight."

Damon slowly stood up. "And the fact that you're waiting tells me you want something more than Stefan."

Cade cleared his throat. "I've taken an interest in local history. There's an 18th-century journal written by Ethan Maxwell. I believe your friend, the occult studies professor, has come into possession of it." He smiled. "Bringing me that journal is a small price to pay for allowing Stefan to live out the remainder of his human life, before he returns to me."

Damon crossed his arms. He knew that, if Cade wanted the journal, then he should do whatever possible to stop him from getting it. But Stefan was in this mess because he couldn't fight Sybil. The last thing he wanted was to let his brother die for his mistakes.

"I guess we have a deal," he confirmed, glancing back at Riley, who looked as wary as he did. "I'll get it."

Cade nodded. "I know you will." His arrogance shone through. "But just in case you want to try and find some kind of loophole, I'll be keeping Evangeline here with me, as an insurance policy."