72. Humans Like Us

Riley used one hand to clean a table at the Grill, while the other hand was pressing her cell phone to her ear while she had a hushed conversation with Elena.

"I can't," she said regretfully. "I have to talk to my mom, remember? Or have you conveniently forgotten that her secret society is trying to kick you and Care out of college?"

Even though she couldn't see her, Riley could guess the face that Elena was making. A face that said 'seriously?'.

"You can talk to your mom anytime. Plus, who cares if 'Augustine' want us gone? We're not going anywhere. Our best friend just came back from the dead, we're throwing her a party, and you're coming." Elena's tone was extremely determined. Clearly, she wouldn't be taking 'no' for an answer.

"I also have to work," Riley reminded her friend. The first thing that Bonnie had done when she came back to life was enroll at Whitmore with Caroline and Elena. And, much to their dismay, Riley hadn't joined them.

"Right," Elena said. "I get that. You don't have to come... even though Aaron's gonna be there, and he totally asked about you."

Just hearing his name made an invisible blush form at her cheeks. It was a feeling that she'd never had before, and she liked it.

"Well... if Aaron's going..." Riley started, thankful that Elena couldn't see the smile on her face, even though she could probably hear it in her voice.

"I thought you'd say that," Elena enthused. "See you tonight!"

They both hung up. On autopilot, Riley picked up some empty glasses, expertly holding three in one hand and taking them to the back. All the time, all she could think about was her mother's connection to Augustine. She had gone through everything that had happened since they'd come to Mystic Falls, wondering if her mother's hatred of vampires had come from her involvement with the society.

"I want another drink!" a familiar voice yelled. Riley's head snapped up even though it didn't need to. Who else but Katherine Pierce?

"No, you're drunk and scaring the customers," Matt responded, nodding at Riley as she walked up to them. He had his phone in his hand. Riley leaned over his shoulder, to see that he was watching a video of himself walking around the Lockwood place, where he lived, speaking a language that she didn't recognize.

"What are you watching? Some Czech reality show?" Katherine asked, clearly uninterested.

Matt glanced up at her. "How did you know it was Czech?" After a second of her just smiling at him, he picked up a bottle of vodka. "You translate, you drink."

"I have to go to Whitmore," Riley informed him. "Call me if that Czech thing turns out to be something... creepy."

Matt nodded again. Was there ever a time that Mystic Falls wasn't creepy?

***

Even though she didn't go there, Riley seemed to be at Whitmore all the time. She knew the campus, she knew a lot of the student's faces, she knew some of the staff, and she knew that, if she ever decided to actually go to college, this was where she would come. But the best thing about being at Whitmore, was that she felt like a college student even though she wasn't one.

"Hey, I'm here," she said into the phone, to Elena. "Do you guys need help with party prep or something?"

Elena hesitated. "Um... this is probably a really bad idea but, you should come up to Jesse's room."

Riley frowned. "That guy that Caroline kissed that time? Elena, if something's wrong you need to tell me."

Again, there was an awkward hesitation on Elena's part. "Just... come up."