130. To the Boy I Loved Before

"Why... did we think... that this... would be... a good idea?" Riley asked between heavy breaths. Bonnie giggled.

"You do know that jogging isn't some form of medieval torture, right Riles?"

Riley ignored her, concentrating on not collapsing into a heap on the ground. She thought about trying to catch her breath, but knew there was no point.

"So, how did you and Damon leave things?" Bonnie asked curiously. Last she'd heard, Damon had locked Sybil in the Salvatore cellar, then nothing.

Riley shrugged. "I have... no idea. I haven't seen him since... 'Miss Mystic Falls'."

Finally they reached their destination (the Salvatore house) and let themselves in.

"Caroline, we're here!" Riley called, taking her hair out of the ponytail that she'd stuffed it into when Bonnie had suggested jogging to clear their heads.

Bonnie walked further into the house, spotted something, and stopped cold.

"Um... Riles?"

Riley followed her eye-line and immediately saw what she did. Damon was sitting on a chair in the middle of the living room, staring into space.

"Damon?" she said, waving a hand in front of his face. He was completely unresponsive. She put her hand on his, but nothing changed. "What's wrong with him?" she asked Bonnie, not taking her eyes off of the vampire in front of her.

"I'm guessing Sybil had something to do with it," the ex-witch said, just as Caroline traipsed down the stairs.

"Oh my God. What-?"

"We think Sybil messed with his brain," Bonnie told her. "Can you jump us in there?"

Caroline took one look at Damon, then held out her hand. Bonnie took it immediately, holding out her other hand for Riley.

Together, they closed their eyes and allowed Caroline to transport them into Damon's mind. For a second, all they saw was darkness. But then they saw Damon, screaming, on fire.

Caroline gasped, bringing them back into reality.

"What was that?" Bonnie asked worriedly.

Caroline shrugged, her eyes wide. "I don't know. It was just... fire, and pain."

"It was hell," Riley said definitively. "Where else would you suffer eternal pain?"

Caroline bit her lip, listening closely to something that the humans couldn't hear. She pushed her hair away from her ear to get a better listen, and when she worked out what the sound was, her concern turned to fury.

She ran down to the cellar, the other two struggling to keep up with her fast pace. Opening the door to Sybil's cell, she glared at the Siren.

"Let me guess..." Sybil said. "Damon's not feeling well?"

"What did you do to him?" Bonnie asked angrily. She hated the thought of her best friend suffering when there was nothing anyone could do about it.

"I gave him what he wanted," Sybil informed them. "I flipped his little humanity switch back on. I guess his mind couldn't handle all those memories and feelings rushing in at once." She smirked happily. "Don't worry, I can fix him... as long as I get what I want."

Bonnie scoffed. "You're crazy if you think we're letting you out of this cell."

"Not only do I want out of the cell, but I want the bell," the Siren demanded. She looked at Riley, the smirk still on her face. "Unless that is, you want your boyfriend to be permanently catatonic. I mean, maybe he'll break out of this in a century or so, but that'll be too late for you, right?"