16

Please excuse any mistakes or typos I may have made. Please vote and comment! I love you all so much! ❤️

***

Harry was gnawing on his lip as he stood looking out his window. Louis went on another date with the kid Jonathan and he didn't like it. He knows he allowed Louis to walk away from him because the boy was broken inside, but he still was against the dates. He sighs and ruffles his hair, walking away from the window.

It's been tense since the confession five nights ago and all their friends notice it. Louis can barely look Harry in the eye and it's hurting the man inside. Harry was stupid and he was dense, he deserves the pain and anger he's feeling now because it's what Louis had to go through for months. But it still doesn't stop the constant thoughts of him.

He wants Louis here with him. He doesn't care about what the consequences would be, he wants Louis with him. Harry knows it's unfair because he still loves Astrid but he wasn't in love with her—not anymore. Louis is who he wants, he knows that know. Louis makes him happy and that's what Astrid wants anyway, his happiness. Three years was a long time so those feelings don't go away overnight but Harry is prepared to work hard.

His eyes were trained on the picture of the two of them on his desk, his hands folded on his stomach. He could feel the warmth from Louis' smile even though it was a picture. He could see the bright sun rays and the twinkling stars. He covers his face and he takes a deep breath. Is it possible to miss someone who was so close yet so far away?

***

"So you're telling me Harry told you that he liked you and you... rejected him?" Liam asks in confusion, his hands folded on the desk in front of him. They were in a deserted part of the library talking about Louis' current predicament.

"Yes." Louis nods. "That is exactly what I did."

Liam blinks slowly and puts his head in his hands. "I feel like I'm going insane. Okay, let me get this straight. You really, really like Harry and apparently he likes you back but you reject him?"

"Exactly." Louis nods his head again. "You are right."

"Louis... what the actual fuck?" Liam sighs and rubs his temples. "Do you realize how dumb that sounds?"

"Out loud it sounds kind of weird but in my head it makes a lot of sense." He defends himself while rubbing his finger in figure eights on the table. "I don't want to really allow myself to believe he likes me because I know he still loves Astrid and I don't want to end up broke hearted when he goes back to her."

"But what if he doesn't, Lou?" Liam asks while lifting his head to meet Louis' gaze. "You can't see the future so how can you possibly know if that's what he'll do? Why torture yourself by forcing yourself to go on these dates when Harry just confessed his feelings for you?"

"Liam, I'm scared." Louis whispers while pressing his hands together. "I'm scared of allowing myself to completely fall for him because if I do then I'm really stuck. And god forbid, if he ever got back with Astrid... then I'm the one who has to put my broken heart back together."

Liam shakes his head and grabs Louis' hands, squeezing them gently. "You're not alone Louis, you never were. I have always been right by your side to help you through everything. Since grade school, remember? It'll always be me and you against the world."

He smiles and rubs his thumb over Louis' knuckles. "If Harry was to ever break your heart—which I think is like impossible because you know how he is... then I'll be there. And I'll be holding your hand as I help you pick up the pieces."