Out Of My Element

Disclaimer: This is a work of fan fiction using characters from the Harry Potter world, which is trademarked by J. K. Rowling. All the characters are created and owned by J.K. Rowling, and I do not claim any ownership over them or the world of Harry Potter. The story I tell here is my own invention, and it is not purported or believed to be part of J.K. Rowling's story canon. This story is for entertainment only and is not part of the official story line.

Draco was sitting under the tree in the Hogwarts courtyard. It was his favorite spot to study, he found it so relaxing. But that day in November he wasn't too focused on his transfiguration book, in fact, something else had captured his attention: Potter.

He was with his girlfriend, Ginny Weasley. He would often see them making out all around the castle and he always found it rather annoying to witness. He grimaced at the sight of it. I can't stand them, he thought, I really don't understand what he sees in her. Always kissing her and laughing with her... that bloody redhead.

He stared at them as Potter ran his fingers through her hair, eliciting a giggle from the girl. It was nauseating to watch those lovebirds, if anything. They could get a bloody room, for one.

Ginny's laugh echoed through the courtyard and Draco could have sworn that was the most annoying sound he had ever heard, even more annoying than Granger's know-it-all interventions in class. "Draco? Will you pay attention to me? I've been calling you for minutes!" Blaise's voice boomed in his ears and that was enough for him to get out of his trance. Blaise was his study buddy for the day, he was a good fella, most of the times, but he had just interrupted his deep thoughts. "What do you want?" He asked, irritated.

"We need to study! Or we'll get a horrible mark in our NEWTs. What are you... are you checking out Weasley?" Blaise asked, with a hint of laugh in his voice.

He found it so ridiculous that Draco could ever like her and he was damn right. But the boy wasn't willing to risk letting him know that he'd been looking at her for so long because he imagined himself as her.

"Oh, she's hot, totally fuckable." He said with a shrug.

If Blaise had been drinking, he would have spat the liquid out of his mouth "What? Weasley? I don't understand your.. tastes! If you liked Potter, that would be the craziest thing ever." He laughed out loud. Oh how wrong are you, my friend, Draco thought.

"Potter? I'd rather sleep with bloody Gregory than Potter! You are so funny sometimes!"

Blaise gave him a disgusted look in response, but he seemed to be entertained. "So are you. Now, get to work!" He ordered.

"Ugh, Transfiguration is just so boring!" Draco lamented. It really was; the only subject that he truly enjoyed was potions.

If Hogwarts had only taught potions he would have been the happiest wizard on the planet. His eyes fixated back on the couple, who was now engaging in a full on make out session. This made him feel so, so jealous, though he hated to admit it, even to himself.

As Harry kissed his girlfriend he didn't feel the "sparks." Yes, she was hot and he loved her, but it just... didn't feel right sometimes. Or all the time, for that matter. He could have been kissing another girl and the feeling would have been the same.

"I need to get used to seeing Harry smooching my sister." Ron said to Hermione as they walked closer to the pair. "Oh Ron, let it go, if she's happy!" His girlfriend reprimanded him.

"Um... Harry?" Ron awkwardly called to his best friend, thus having them break the kiss. Ginny and Harry broke apart, blushing a little. Ginny was the most embarrassed one, though.