Chapter 7: Song of the Early Bird

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

I slept uneasily, my dreams filled with two families. Kass was standing next to Xander, shouting at me again. She told me that I was treating the Hoshidans like a new beginning.

A new beginning was never what I'd wanted. Shutting my Nohrian siblings out had always been a conscious choice -- one I could have changed at any time. Camilla would have welcomed my old attitude in an instant. Xander, Kass, and Elise would have followed soon after. Even Leo would have eventually forgiven me.

I'd always known that I was hurting my Nohrian siblings, but the reintroduction of Kass in my life had suddenly turned that blunt knife sharp. I couldn't bring myself to hurt another family, too.

Dawn was breaking when I awoke, and I could hear the castle quietly stirring to life. I rose, unsure of what to do with myself. When not on missions, I'd always followed the same daily routine: get up at the crack of dawn and train for hours before breakfast. But I didn't know where I could train here.

Even dressing seemed to be a problem. Wearing my Nohrian clothing felt wrong. I tried to do it the Hoshidan way -- getting changed behind the screen -- but that felt wrong, too.

Frowning, I crossed to the trunks opposite my bed and opened one. Baggy trousers and loose shirts were nestled inside. I opened the next one, and the next. They were all full.

My heart panged. Mikoto had been so hopeful for us to return that she had been fully prepared. How could I not dress in these clothes now?

Going behind the screen felt more comfortable when I was changing into Hoshidan clothing, and I learned why I had it just as I was finishing. Kaze knocked on the door and came straight in without waiting. Ninjas were not known to be carefree, so I assumed that it was normal Hoshidan practice.

"Prince Nayoko," he said as I stepped out from behind the screen. "Good morning."

"Good morning." I picked up my sword and attached it to my belt awkwardly. I suddenly felt like an impostor.

But Kaze said, "I'm glad you found your new clothes, my lord. I've sent Semyaza to request that Princess Kaiya also dresses in them. It would make Queen Mikoto very happy."

"Semyaza?" I'd heard that name twice now.

"Your other retainer. Queen Mikoto has been training us both for years. So please, if you or Princess Kaiya ever wish for anything, ask. We will help you in whatever way is necessary."

"Thank you. Actually, I was wondering..."

Where the training grounds are.

But I realised that I didn't want to go to a storage area I didn't know, find a practice blade I didn't know, and then train in grounds that I didn't know. That wouldn't help my confused feelings at all.