Chapter 19: Medicine and Spice and Everything Nice

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

We travelled back down the Eternal Stairway and continued towards Izumo. The further away we moved from the Wind Tribe, the more the fierce gale dropped. As soon as we were in the Eternal Stairway, we could speak, and by the time we left it there was nothing but a gentle breeze disturbing the air.

Once camp had been set up that night, Hinoka organised a training session for everyone who had no other duties to take part in. But I found myself being drawn inexorably towards the medical tent, where the soldiers who were still recovering from the border battle were receiving check-ups and more treatment.

I had been quiet for the day's journey, turning Chief Fuga's words over in my mind. While I wasn't certain if I was supposed to be saving the world from our war or something greater, knowing that I had the ability to bring together legendary powers added to the responsibility on my shoulders. I was supposed to be the chosen saviour, but I didn't feel like one. I just felt like an ordinary, unskilled man.

It was time to change that, and I was going to start off by learning the skills I might have learned if I'd stayed in the Northern Fortress. I wanted to know the basics of healing.

In the medical tent, Sakura was tending to a wounded soldier, her healing rod pressed against his chest. He was glaring at Azura, who was standing next to my younger sister with vulneraries in her hands. She looked away from him.

Jakob was in the corner nearest the tent flap, setting out the final bedroll. He looked up and bowed as I entered. "Prince Nayoko, are you all right?"

"I have a favour to ask."

"As ever, I am at your service."

"I was hoping that I could receive some medical training from you. Kass learned much in Nohr, and she was able to assist Sakura in the medical ward at Castle Shirasagi. I wish to be just as useful."

Jakob frowned. "You are useful, my lord. You're the leader of all the soldiers in this camp."

"But I'm of little use to the soldiers when they're injured. Please help me, Jakob. Everything is calm and orderly tonight. I have the time. And if someone needs me, they can simply come looking."

Jakob sighed. "Very well. Keep in mind that it will take a long time for you to learn everything."

"I will."

He took me to the back of the medical tent, where several chests had been unloaded from the baggage trains. Some had their lids open, and inside they were crammed with vials of vulneraries, bottles of ointments, bandages, cloths, alcohol, and metal tools.

"Before I let you do anything with a patient, you should learn what your equipment is," Jakob said. "You obviously know what staves and healing rods look like, but other things must sometimes be done before those can be used. For instance, it would be a disaster if you closed up a dirty wound with a staff. Your patient would run the risk of dying from infection."