Chapter 15: Fort Jinya

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

When we eventually arrived at Fort Jinya, we were warmly greeted by the guards and taken inside. As we passed through the outer walls towards a tower that spiralled into the sky, Ryoma turned to us. "I was hoping that I would be able to show you around every place in Hoshido we come to, Nayoko. But as soon as we go inside, I'll be making arrangements to hold a war council. Semyaza, you were here recently on a mission. You should have all the information Nayoko needs fresh in your mind. Could you show him around in my place?"

"Of course, my lord," Semyaza said.

"We'll come, too," Hinoka added, glancing at the others.

Azura shook her head. "I'm sorry. I promised Sakura that I'd help in the medical ward as soon as we got here."

"Well, Takumi and I could --"

"My apologies, Hinoka," Ryoma said. "I have duties waiting for you, Takumi, and everyone else. Semyaza and Nayoko will be fine on their own."

***

The fort was much like those of Nohr within, but brighter. A circular entrance hall of grey stone led away to several corridors, and there was a spiral staircase tucked to the side.

"This isn't a sightseeing tour, my lord," Semyaza said once we'd branched away from the others. "This is so that you know where things are and how they work from a military perspective, should the information ever be vital to you."

"Understood."

"The first thing I always do when I enter a fort, unless I have duties elsewhere, is go to the highest point to refresh or familiarise myself with the surrounding terrain. So that is where we will start."

We ascended the spiral staircase to the top of the tower. It took five minutes of climbing before we emerged in a room with huge windows extending all the way around the steps. I slowed my pace, hoping to give my aching muscles a rest, but Semyaza's natural stride seemed to be even longer than my own. Giving up on catching a break, I hurried after her.

She walked a whole lap of the room, allowing me to look in every direction. To the north were the entrance and its high walls. Beyond it, the land was rocky and flat until it began a sharp descent downwards. To the east and south was a thick forest of green trees. To the west there was an empty plain.

Semyaza stopped so that we were facing the entrance. "The first question I always ask myself is from which direction I think an enemy might attack."

I stared over the land. "If I was them, I'd come from behind. The forest would mask their approach until they were almost upon the fort. They would have the element of surprise."

Semyaza smiled. "That's what I thought when I was asked the question, long ago. But to come from behind, the enemy would have to take a different route to us, and they would see things that you have not. Deeper into the forest, the ground rises and creates a series of narrow valleys. We guard them heavily with sky knights. As the enemy commander would have studied the terrain in all directions of the fort carefully, they would know that there was the potential to be trapped and slaughtered. They would not come from the south or east.