Chapter 35: Bloody Uprising

Princess Kassandra of Nohr

Elise woke up after we had received our new mission, exhausted but much better. We spent the rest of the day in Palace Macarath, and after another dose of the cure in the evening, she was walking around. We left the palace the next morning, not wanting to leave King Garon waiting.

My sister was kept under the watchful eyes of Felicia and Flora as we travelled, but I hardly noticed the absence of my retainers. Camilla was somehow able to dote on both Elise and me from the air, and as always, I stayed close to Xander.

In addition, Silas stepped into the role of the retainer when necessary, fetching me extra water or another layer of clothing before I'd even asked. I wondered if I could make him a real retainer of mine once the war was over. I had missed him dearly, and I never wanted him to leave my side again.

The problem was that not everyone understood our boundaries.

Elise took great delight in teasing Silas and me on the third day, which made me so awkward that I stammered every time I spoke. Silas laughed it off and told Elise that we were nothing more than best friends, which was just as well, for I thought Xander might have murdered him otherwise. His face grew darker and darker as the day rolled by, until he finally snapped.

We'd stopped for a five-minute break, and Silas had instantly taken my water canteen and gone to refill it with the other royal retainers.

"Wow, off he goes!" Elise giggled. "He's so eager to help you, Kass! I really do think you two should --"

"Elise, enough!" Xander growled. "You're giving me a headache. War isn't the time for matchmaking!"

Camilla frowned. "Xander! What's gotten into you? She's just having a bit of fun."

"It's very boring at the back, under all this supervision," Elise said mournfully. "But I'm sorry. I won't do it again."

Xander grunted and rode away to stand alone, his back turned to us.

"He never snaps at me," Elise murmured. "It's always Leo."

"You were giving me a headache, too," Leo said.

"Gee, thanks! Now I feel even worse!"

"Don't worry," I said. "Once we reach Cheve and Garon takes command, Xander will be calmer. He's just stressed at the moment. There's a lot of responsibility on his shoulders."

"Maybe he's feeling protective over you?" Elise perked up at her idea. "He might be worried that Silas will break your heart."

If only she'd known the real reason why he couldn't bear the thought of Silas courting me.

***

We had much more than matchmaking to worry about once we arrived in Cheve.