Chapter 44: Mortal Revenge

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

Kass marched alongside us every day as we approached Castle Shirasagi, chained and watched over. Ryoma was quiet, but Hinoka, Sakura, and even Takumi talked to her. At first, all conversation was halting and hesitant, but by the second morning she had softened, and my family were soon speaking with her as freely as if she'd been there all along.

But she hadn't, and while they were ignorant of the anger that bubbled beneath her surface, I was not. She enjoyed her time with our Hoshidan siblings, but she never looked at me unless she had to. I was her kidnapper.

Ryoma made no mention of his thoughts about her plan, although he did briefly inform our siblings of it. They were divided. Hinoka and Takumi didn't like it, but Sakura was in favour. Now that I'd been given some time, so was I. Things were looking dark for Hoshido whether we opened our castle doors to King Garon or waited for him to just knock them down.

After a few days on the move, I made the decision that someone else needed to know about our plan. The previous day, we had been informed that the Nohrians were hot on our heels: King Garon out for the final glory, and Xander probably out for Kass. Today we had been told the same. As such, we had marched for a long time, and Semyaza had been permanently at my side. But somehow, while camp had been set up at dusk, she'd managed to slip away.

Jakob and Kaze were easy to find, one in the medical tent and one in the mess tent, but I couldn't find my third retainer anywhere. Eventually, I went to Kass' tent on the unlikely chance that she'd heard something -- and I was surprised to find Semyaza there. They were sitting on the floor together, Kass' chains staked into the ground between them.

"What are you doing here, Semyaza?" I asked.

She scrambled to her feet and bowed. "I was just keeping Princess Kaiya company. She told me about your secret plan."

It's not a secret if you're spreading it around, is it?

Kass gave me a wicked smile, and I realised that she knew she'd wound me up.

In any case, I was being hypocritical. "I was just coming to discuss that with you, Semyaza. I know it is not my decision to make, but I could use your advice anyway."

"I think it's a good idea," she said. "We have already lost too many soldiers in our battles against Nohr. Regardless of whether or not King Garon is a demon, we'll be luring him into a trap where we can end him, and so end the war. I also trust Princess Kaiya's belief that Prince Xander will return the throne to us."

I watched them carefully. "Have you had a long discussion about Xander, then?"

"We've been talking about our loves," Kass said.

Semyaza blushed. "P-Princess Kaiya --"

Kass coloured herself, looking down. "My apologies. I'll keep it between us. As you will mine, I hope?"