Chapter 20: Cold Reception

Princess Kassandra of Nohr

The day after the others caught up with me, we rode the last stretch to the Ice Tribe.

When we were a mile from the Woods of the Forlorn and passing through more wasteland, the temperature dropped dramatically. It had been chilly anyway, as winter was fast approaching Nohr, but now it was like we had suddenly stepped partway into the icy season. The sky was a lighter tone of grey. Flakes of snow drifted from them, and I shivered beneath my heavy cloak.

Just half an hour of riding later, I couldn't control the shudders. Zodiac slipped on a patch of ice, and I struggled to keep the reins between my numb fingers. "Whoa, easy, boy. The Ice Tribe certainly lives up to its name."

Felicia, riding in front of me with Elise alongside, twisted around in her saddle and smiled. "Too true. Isn't this cold air marvellous? The colder it gets, the closer we are!"

"Marvellous is not exactly the word I had in mind. I can't feel my fingers anymore."

Silas frowned. "You always did feel the cold, Kass. Why don't we dismount and walk beside our horses? They'll shelter us, and the activity might warm you up."

We all reined in and did as he'd suggested. Felicia looked anxiously at me. "I'm so sorry, my lady. I had no idea you were suffering. If we run, it might warm you up extra fast. Come on!"

She ran off, trotting her horse beside her. Elise charged after them. "She's so fast! Hey, Felicia! Wait for me!"

Our range of vision shortened dramatically as the snow picked up. They vanished.

"Princess Elise, slow down!" Silas called.

No reply came back.

I pulled Zodiac's reins over his head, and the rest of us ran after them with our steads. But the snow was already starting to cover their tracks, and the more that fell, the harder it was to run.

Eventually, my feet were so numb that I tripped and almost twisted my ankle. I slowed to a walk, gasping. "I can't run any longer, Silas!"

He stopped until I was alongside him again. "We must at least carry on walking before we freeze to death."

"Felicia said it grows colder the closer you get to the Ice Tribe village. Hopefully, that means we're going in the right direshion -- direction." I cleared my throat. "Sorry."

Silas looked at me for a long moment. "Are you all right, Kass? You're shaking."

"Fine. Very fine. Just tired." My knees buckled, and I suddenly found myself sitting in the snow. I patted it wearily, Zodiac's reins slipping from my grasp. "I could sleep here. Are you sleepy? I'm very sleepy."

I lay down.

"Kass!" Silas knelt next to me. His face looked hazy. "Stay with me! Don't fall asleep!"