Chapter 43: Lost in Thoughts, Chained Alone

Princess Kassandra of Nohr

The first thing I became aware of was the ground rattling beneath me and horses' hooves clip-clopping against stone. My mind was fuzzy, and I lay still for a moment, trying to make sense of the world I'd woken up in. Then the ground jerked violently, and my head cracked against the wooden floor.

I groaned and tried to push myself upright, but as I went to move my wrists apart, they came to an abrupt stop. I'd been shackled. My temples were aching, and sharp pain flared down my side. But I couldn't remember why.

Scrunching my brow, I tried to think. I was lying in pitch darkness and bound. The ground was shaking beneath me, and I could hear horses. So, I was in a carriage or a cart. Maybe part of a baggage train?

I rolled over so that I was lying on my back, then sat up without using my hands. Pain flared down my flank again, and it took a few attempts to hold myself steady. Why was I here? Had someone found out that I wished to kill King Garon? Was I being carted away to execution? But no, I hadn't told anyone. And anyway, as we weren't in Nohr, there was nowhere for me to be carted to. I would just be killed on the spot in Hoshido.

Hoshido!

We'd attacked Fort Jinya, and I'd fought Norton. He'd knocked me out. Heat pulsed around my body with the pain at the memory, and I gritted my teeth. I was not a prisoner to be executed, but a prisoner of war. Typical. Norton and Ryoma had always sought to take advantage of me. But whatever they threatened to do, I would never turn my blade on my Nohrian family.

We were drawing a long way from them now: Azura, Elise, Leo, Camilla, Xander -- and King Garon. My heart sank. How was I going to kill him now? I had no idea where I was being taken or where my allies were, and I needed Garon to sit on the Throne of Truth.

Still, if we were on the move, it could mean that we were retreating. And where would I go if my biggest fort had been taken over by the enemy? Back to my home and my most valuable building in order to protect it: Castle Shirasagi.

Back to the Throne of Truth.

Perhaps I could play this to my advantage. With only darkness for company, there was no better time to plan.

***

When the baggage train stopped and the cart doors were flung open, I sat still. When Ryoma and Norton strode in to get me, I did not struggle. When they stood me up, I stepped out of the cart and let them escort me across camp. When they lifted the flap of a tent, I went in.

But I never looked at them.

I sat down at the far end of the tent and examined myself in the light. Bloodied, dirty, but well tended to -- through the tear in my tunic, I could see a dressing strapped across my side.

In the corner of my eye, Norton and Ryoma looked ready to struggle with me. But I turned my head away, picturing Xander instead. If he could have seen what I was about to do, he would have been furious with me.