Chapter 37: Voice of Paradise

Princess Kassandra of Nohr

That night, away from the burning town, my siblings and I gathered together in the headquarters tent with Garon, Iago, and Gunter.

I was trying my hardest to keep my emotions in check. Still reeling from the massacre, I was worried that I might be sick in front of King Garon, and trying to act surprised that Gunter was alive didn't really help. Especially not when Xander searched my face every time I caught his eye, checking how I was coping with the shock. I hated the secrets I'd kept from him.

Because Valla couldn't be spoken of, Gunter explained an elaborate tale about falling onto a ledge in the Bottomless Canyon, then being rescued and tended to by Hoshidan healers, before escaping and crossing the border to Cheve.  As he talked, Camilla put a blanket over my shoulders and fussed around me and Elise. Leo stood close by, not prepared to put his concern into words, but watching over us all the same. Xander remained on the opposite side of the tent, as far away as possible. Carrying me here had drawn too much attention to our relationship.

Once Gunter had finished explaining himself, it was time to introduce a different person. Azura had been sitting quietly with us, and it seemed that Garon hadn't noticed her yet, as he'd made no move to speak to her. Perhaps he didn't even realise who she was. She'd been a young girl when she'd been taken, and now she was sixteen years older.

"If that is all," King Garon was saying as I pulled the blanket off my shoulders, "you are dismissed."

I stood up. "Father, wait!"

All heads turned to me in surprise.

"If I may just have a moment of your time," I said, "I have something else to report."

King Garon raised his eyebrows. "Well? Out with it."

"Azura has returned to us."

"I beg your pardon?"

Azura sighed and stood up. "Greetings, Your Majesty."

Garon scrutinised her. "Well, how unexpected. I never thought I'd see your face again." He rapped the floor with his battle axe and stood. "Tomorrow, we shall travel south so that we may invade Hoshido by sea and take them by surprise. Along the way, we will make for Cyrkensia. That is all."

He swept out of the tent, Iago following him.

I turned and stared after them. "What? Azura is his long-lost daughter, and yet he barely spoke a word to her!"

"It's quite all right," Azura said. "I didn't expect much."

"But he's your father!"

"I never thought I would see him again, so the few words we exchanged exceeded my expectations. Excuse me." She lowered her head and left the tent.

"Azura, wait!" I called.

"Leave her," Xander said. "It would serve you well to continue acting as if you feel ill. Retire to bed now. You are treading a fine line with Father."