Chapter 34: Welcome to the Family

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

After leaving Palace Macarath, we marched further into Nohr, determined to make one last stand. We were heading for Cheve because a rebellion was taking place there, and Ryoma had a contact who would keep us hidden with the rebels -- the very leader of them herself.

It felt strange to be collaborating with rebels when I'd spent much of my life hunting them down. It also felt strange to continue on and leave Elise behind at Palace Macarath. I didn't know if she'd been given the cure in time or if she'd died in Xander's arms, and the what-ifs pained me.

It wasn't supposed to be any of my business. I was a Hoshidan.

Were the Hoshidans and the Nohrians really so different, though? If I hadn't begged Ryoma to grant mercy to Elise, it was clear that he would have stood and argued with Kass until my youngest Nohrian sister had died.

***

After one week of agonising travel during which I avoided everyone as much as I could, we arrived in the small country of Cheve. The leader of the rebellion was supposed to be meeting us within the first town we came to, which was as dark as Nohr but had a considerably grander feeling. The streets were dirt paths rather than cobbles, but they were wide and well-lit. The buildings were made of cream stone, and instead of being small and rammed together, they were large and set far apart.

Because King Garon's tyrannous rule stretched all the way over here, the town was deserted, but there was something calmer about the atmosphere. While the people were clearly unhappy, they weren't right in the thick of things.

We followed Ryoma down the straight roads until he broke away and ascended the steps to one of the buildings. Identical to all the rest, its cluster of windows were in line on all four floors except for the ground level, where there was a black door bang in the centre. Upon it was a plain brass knocker polished to a shine, and Ryoma tapped it five times.

In the silent town, the boots clicking towards the door were loud. With every footstep, my heart beat a little faster.

"Who's there?" a female called.

"Travellers," Ryoma said. "We are looking for a safe place to stay."

There was a pause. "Where do you think would be the safest place to stay?"

"Underground."

The door swung open. A woman with short, blonde hair and red armour was standing on the other side, wearing a grin that was both pleased and slightly menacing. "Good evening, Prince Ryoma. I thought I recognised your voice, but I had to check."

"Please, don't worry about it," he replied. "That's what passwords are for."

The woman stepped back. "Come in."