Chapter 51: Into the Ground

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

It took us just over a week to reach the Bottomless Canyon. Every day, the Hoshidans and Nohrians travelled separately. Whenever we stopped to set up camp, Camilla seemed to vanish into thin air. Elise never spoke a word. Leo looked like he'd hardly been eating, and Xander looked like he'd hardly slept.

The war may have been over, but its consequences had hit us hard.

Kass flitted between them, quiet enough not to attract much attention, but always there. I thought she saw it as her duty to watch over them all; to act as the pillar they'd been for her while she'd been locked in the Northern Fortress.

The Nohrians reached the Bottomless Canyon first. By the time we arrived, they'd tied their horses up to some nearby trees and were standing beside the rickety bridge. Trepidation filled their faces as they stared into the depths, bringing some energy to their previously lifeless features.

So close to Nohr, the blue sky was smeared with a few grey clouds, and a cold wind rushed across the canyon. Straggly wild flowers bent under its strength, their petals leeched of colour.

"What do we do now?" Ryoma asked.

Kass and Azura exchanged an uneasy look. Kass grasped the rope railing. "Well...now we jump off. We have to go to the bottom of the canyon."

Takumi sighed. "Kaiya, it's called the Bottomless Canyon. By definition, we can't reach the bottom. You're asking us to kill ourselves!"

"Gunter fell down there and came back alive," Kass said.

Leo frowned. "He landed on a ledge."

"My apologies, my lord." Gunter bowed his head. "That was a ruse. I really did fall all the way down, and so I can confirm that you will be safe. But if I had explained that to you at the time, you'd have thought I'd lost my wits."

"Why do we have to jump down there, Kass?" Xander asked.

She licked her lips and looked at Azura, but the blue-haired princess shook her head. "You can't tell them anything here. The curse will take hold."

Xander's face darkened. "What curse?"

"If I speak the truth here and not in the canyon, I'll vanish," Kass said.

We all contemplated that in silence.

Ryoma stepped up beside her. "It sounds like madness, but I trust you. You're my little sister. I won't turn my back on you now."

Kass looked at Xander.

He sighed. "Fine. I also trust you."

"Brilliant!" She winked at him and vaulted over the rope, throwing herself into the canyon.

"What in the gods' names --?" Xander strode forward and looked down. "Kass!"

She'd fallen so quickly that she'd already vanished.