Chapter 52: A Traitor Among Us

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

We eventually rode out of the woods and reached the edge of the floating island. Ahead of us, a rickety bridge stretched between our current landmass and the next. We stopped and stared at it.

"Castle Gyges is on the next island," Azura said quietly.

Sakura paled. "That b-bridge looks really old. You d-don't think it will break?"

Azura worried her lip. "I don't think there's another way across."

"Then we'll have to try it," Kass said. "We need to reach Anankos and end this, quickly!"

As the lightest group, we Hoshidans went first. Ryoma led us onto the bridge, and I swallowed nervously before I followed him. The structure swayed as I put my weight on it, and I looked down. If we fell now, would we just drop through the empty sky forever?

Getting across was a blur, but everything cleared as Ryoma reached the other side. Then my own feet hit solid ground, and relief crashed through me like a tidal wave.

When I turned around to watch everyone else cross, it faded again. Camilla and Hinoka had flown over, but so many of our group were still moving. The bridge looked even more alarming than it had felt, swaying wildly from side to side.

Finally, our group reached us.

The Nohrians rode forwards, and I almost closed my eyes. I didn't want to see what was going to happen when so much weight was put on the bridge.

They had, at least, made the decision to cross one by one. Xander was leading. Leo was at the very back of the group with his retainers, acting as the rearguard, and Elise was in the middle of their formation for protection.

Xander and Indra stepped onto the bridge. The wooden planks released a long moan, but they held while he came to us.

Kass nudged Zodiac on after him. Panic flared in me when his hooves touched the wood. The sky opened up below them, and the bridge swayed.

Eventually, they reached land.

One by one, more horses rode on and plodded across. But with every horse that took their turn, the bridge sagged more in the middle.

"Hurry!" Xander called.

Felicia and Flora arrived. Elise and her retainers. Gunter. Leo's retainers.

Leo rode his horse onto the bridge.

He was just strides away from us when it gave out.

The planks in the middle fell away, carving the bridge in two and destroying the tension. Leo put his heels to his mount and risked trotting the last few strides. Behind him, the planks fell into the sky, faster and faster, the gap between the islands opening up. It was like watching someone trying to outrun an avalanche.