Chapter 48: The Empty King

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

I struck at King Garon, but he seemed able to think quicker than humans. He blocked my attack almost before I'd raised my sword, then spun his axe and blocked a strike from Xander. It was like fighting the monster in the Sevenfold Sanctuary all over again, but this time, there was no great strategy to power it down.

Kaze threw shurikens, but Garon dodged, then turned and swung at Jakob as he tried to advance. His axe skimmed across my butler's arm.

Jakob fell back, and I edged towards him. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, my lord." He clenched his jaw. "Just a shallow... Look out!"

I spun to the side and saw Garon's axe flying towards me.

Xander shoved me away and took the brunt of the blow to his breastplate. The force sent him stumbling back -- straight into Kass as she joined our formation. She grabbed hold of his shoulders to steady him.

Garon rounded my flank and swung towards her. Xander lunged, his eyes flashing. His sword sank into the gloop where the demon's stomach should have been.

It staggered back. "What is the meaning of this? I thought that you would never dare to hurt me, Crown Prince!"

"Silence!" Xander snapped. "Do not speak as though you know me, foul beast! You are no longer the father I once looked up to. When I was a young boy, my father was strong and brave, stern but fair. For all his power, he would never have used his strength against his own children!"

"Fool!" the demon growled. "You know nothing."

"It is you who knows nothing. All this time, I have strived to be a good son and a worthy heir. I have faithfully followed your orders, even when doing so tortured my soul. I fought in your name, hoping one day you would reawaken as the man you once were. But that man is dead!"

He lunged forwards again. The demon swatted him away.

Ryoma grabbed his shoulder. "Do not fight with blind rage, Prince Xander."

Xander glowered and shrugged him off, but he stayed with us. He turned to me. "What would you have us do, Norton?"

"The Crown Prince, taking orders from an orphan boy?" Garon scoffed.

"He's our chosen saviour!" Kass said. "He's destined to put an end to you!"

I sighed. "I wish Yato had some effect on him."

"Perhaps you could unlock the rest of its powers, Nayoko?" Semyaza suggested. "The other three legendary weapons are finally all together in the same room."

"But it was the Rainbow Sage who unlocked its power with Raijinto."

"Do you know how he did it?" Takumi asked.