Chapter 47: A Game of Truths and Thrones

Princess Kassandra of Nohr

I watched King Garon stride into the throne room the way a cat watches a mouse. There was not a movement he made that I did not see, and the closer he got to the throne, the faster my heart hammered.

I could feel Xander splitting his gaze between his father and me, and I knew that he could see the seething hatred in my eyes. Soon, he would observe for the reason for it himself. I hoped.

King Garon stopped short of the throne. Iago stood alongside it.

"Well done, my children," Garon said. "We will take the Hoshidans down to the dungeons, where they shall rot forever. But first, I wish for them to witness the glorious culmination of their defeat. Turn them around and get them on their knees."

I gestured with my blade for Norton to obey. He turned around and sunk to his knees before King Garon. I held my blade to his throat.

My Nohrian family took the cue from us, and I realised that even Elise was holding a dagger. King Garon must have given it to her especially. Her hands were shaking as she held it against Sakura, and the sight made me hot with anger. She was just thirteen, for crying out loud. She shouldn't have to do this.

Once my Hoshidan family were on their knees, Garon smiled. "I have waited for this moment for decades upon decades. Behold the mighty King of Nohr and Hoshido!"

He sat down on the throne.

The effect was instantaneous. His skin and bones melted into grey gloop and slithered down the chair. His mouth and eyes became yawning pits, and a red light awoke between his ribs.

My mouth fell open. I'd never imagined that his true form would look like this.

The colour drained from Xander's face. "Father! How can this be?"

Leo tightened his grip on his blade and looked away, the truth too much to bear.

"So you've seen my true form!" the demon roared. Slime oozed onto the floor and flowed down the platform the throne stood on. Iago backed away from it with wide eyes.

"Father!" Elise screamed. "No!"

"What's happening to him?" Camilla asked, her voice rising.

Azura lifted her chin. "Those who sit upon that throne cannot hide the truth within. Behold the reality of your king!"

"Curse you, traitors!" Garon roared. "How dare you trick me!"

"Lower your blades now, if you would," Norton said. "It looks like we'll have to prepare for battle."

We took our weapons away from my Hoshidan family and let them rearm themselves. Then we all stood side by side: Ryoma, Xander, me, Norton, Camilla, Hinoka, Leo, Takumi, Sakura, Elise, Azura, and all our retainers. Finally, we were ready to fight as one.