Chapter 8: Rescue of the Redheads

Princess Kaiya of Hoshido

We reached our battleground a few days later: the bottom of a snowy mountain. It was ten times the size of what I'd imagined a mountain to be like, roughly carved by the hands of nature in a strangely beautiful way. The tip touched a sky that was at once bright and overcast, the sun shining behind delicate clouds the colour of thin smoke.

I found it hard to believe that any fighting could still be going on, but Ryoma was quick to point out moving shapes in the distance and tell us to ready ourselves. I followed his forefinger, straining to see Xander, Camilla, Leo, or Elise. But all I saw were monsters.

They were twice the size of any man, with huge muscles to match. Handcuffs hung on their green wrists, but each had torn the chains apart. Black masks covered their faces.

"Gods," Norton said. "What the hell are those?"

"Nohr's creations." Ryoma drew his sword. "Don't worry. They may look fearsome, but they're not as difficult to fight as it seems. They're stronger than man, but they lack skill."

How can these be Nohr's creations?

"Kaiya, are you with me?"

I realised that I was the only one who hadn't yet drawn their sword. I bit my lip and slowly slid Ganglari from its sheath. In all the recent chaos, Norton had forgotten to take it off me, and I'd found that I just...couldn't remind him. The same way that I couldn't get rid of it myself.

Norton's eyes widened when he saw it. "Oh, no. Kass --"

"It's fine," I said. "It's fine. Our sisters need saving, remember? We'd better get moving."

"Indeed." Ryoma pointed again. "Can you see two redheads in the distance, right at the other end of the battlefield? One of them is on a pegasus."

I squinted. "Just about."

"That's them." He grinned. "Your sisters."

I'm never calling them that again.

"All right, everyone," he continued. "Don't leave a single Faceless standing. Charge!"

We ran into the fray of Hoshidan soldiers who were trying to push the monsters back. For a moment, I thought I could hear horses, and I believed that if I turned my head, I would see Xander galloping up to save us again. But it was only the sound of hundreds of feet pounding the floor.

"Stay off the front lines," Norton warned, even though we were side by side. He tried to push me behind him, but I dodged out of his reach, sprinting ahead as we entered the chaos.

I immediately regretted it.

"Kaiya!"

I'd been focusing on a monster ahead of us, but I hadn't realised that there was another coming around on my flank. Its gigantic fist flew towards me, twice the size of my head. Gods, would one blow be the end? I tried to duck, but it felt like I was moving in slow motion.