Chapter 28: The Art of Battle

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

Once our army was in the Sevenfold Sanctuary, Ryoma, Hinoka, and I organised some scouts to be put on lookout across the sea. Then, as the building was twice the size of a barrack, we organised what rooms they would sleep in.

We had just sent Semyaza, Kaze, Jakob, and Hinoka off in different directions to organise this, when one of the scouts came running back in, clutching a roll of parchment. He bowed to me and presented it. "My lord, a carrier pigeon just arrived with this message, addressed to you."

I took the parchment from him and read the message out loud to Ryoma.

Nohrian forces are at sea. They intend to take the Sevenfold Sanctuary.

"It's not signed," I said.

Ryoma frowned. "It could be false information, but it's unsurprising that Nohr would want to take the Sevenfold Sanctuary from us and use the power of the Rainbow Sage. We must not let them gain that advantage -- and we must also show them, if they arrive and fight us, how we mean to go on." He glanced around the hall. "Kaze and Semyaza should only be five minutes. Once they're back, we'll go up to the ramparts and see where we think we should place our guards. They both offer useful insights."

"They do," I agreed. "Semyaza is especially wise."

Ryoma smiled. "I always thought the two of you would get on well from the day I met her. So did Mother."

Well was certainly one way to describe how we got on...and I did not want to think too hard about how else it could be described. "I wish Mother could have had more time to see us working together. I don't know how we managed to deal with your disappearance, too, without falling apart."

"But you didn't fall apart, and that's why we're here. If we keep it up, perhaps we'll be able to find Takumi and Azura again." He sighed. "I still can't believe what happened. Everyone loved Azura before the war began, and I would be lost without her. If those men kill her..." His eyes darkened, and his hand came to rest on the pommel of Raijinto.

We, I corrected in my head, watching him thoughtfully. We would be lost without her.

"Prince Ryoma, Prince Nayoko," Kaze said from behind me.

I turned around. He and Semyaza were standing at ease.

"Is everything sorted?" I asked.

"Yes, my lord."

"Then please accompany us to the ramparts," Ryoma said.

I cleared my throat. "Shouldn't Yukimura come with us, too?"

"He already imparted his opinion while you were fetching your troops. But it's always good to hear the tactical opinions of several people, and besides, only Semyaza has had the pleasure of testing you so far."

So we went up to the ramparts, which thankfully involved fewer stairs than Fort Jinya. At the top, we walked along them in silence, examining the landscape laid out before us.

To the north was the mountain path we had ascended. To the east was sea, to the south was sea, and to the west was sea, and all of the landscape around the fort that touched the waves was rocky. There was obviously only one way for the Nohrians to get to us.

"The Nohrians will come up the path to attack," I said. "King Garon lacks the patience and the supplies to have his troops lure us out of here, and so they will almost certainly have orders to advance. Most of our soldiers should be to the north. We should have sky knights waiting to attack them as soon as they come into view, and as many archers as possible stationed on these walls. The majority of the army will fight at the entrance to the fort, with reinforcements inside."

Ryoma nodded and looked at Kaze.

My retainer thought for a moment longer, then bowed his head. "I agree with Prince Nayoko, my lord."

"Semyaza?"

"I agree," she said, "but I think we should also station archers on the ground to the east, south, and west. While it would not be a wise tactic, some of the Nohrian ships may sail around to our lesser-guarded sides and have mages fire at the archers on the walls, who would then be under attack from several directions. If we do not fortify the areas that seem impossible for the Nohrians to reach, we are creating a weakness for ourselves."

"That's true," I said, looking at Ryoma.

"Indeed," he replied. "It's unlikely, but a valid point nonetheless. We will make sure we have enough soldiers on the rocks to withstand any such attack. Thank you for your diligence, Semyaza. I will go and make the arrangements immediately."

She bowed her head as he walked past her.

"Well done, Semyaza," I said.

She looked away, across the sea again. "You always praise me, my lord, but warfare is all I'm skilled in."

"Do you honestly believe that?" I stared at her in astonishment. "You're charismatic, open-minded, kind and wise. You've inspired confidence in me when I've had none."

"It's true," Kaze agreed. "And you are a good friend."

"You're both good friends to me and perfect retainers," I said. "Thank you for all the hard work you've been putting towards this position over the past few years, even when I was not here. Let's make good use of that work now -- it seems a battle will be upon us soon."