Chapter 41: Regicidal Rift

Princess Kassandra of Nohr

The rest of our time at sea was tense. There is no other way of putting it.

Xander and I didn't exchange a word. Leo was short with him and distracted with me, and our sisters flitted awkwardly between us. Only Gunter, Silas, Felicia, and Flora stayed firmly at my side, acting as if nothing was amiss.

I knew that I'd wounded Xander, and I wanted to apologise for the way I had brought the subject up. But every time I tried to approach him, he clenched his fists and stalked away.

It was a relief when we landed in Hoshido late one day and I could escape the close confinement of the ship. But the first place we camped in was territory belonging to Mokushu. It made me think of Shura, which only brought me further despair.

I knew Xander would be aware of it, but he didn't make any move to comfort me that evening.

We were now set to travel in the direction of Fort Jinya, and the next morning, a small force led by King Garon rode out to scout the area themselves. Most of our soldiers had never been on this side of the continent before, and they were all desperate to join in. Garon put a limit on the personnel and let Xander pick them. He selected Leo as one, and soldiers as the rest, leaving Camilla in charge of camp.

They were only supposed to be gone for an hour.

That designated hour passed. Then it turned to two. After three, Camilla was beside herself, and she gave orders for a squad of wyvern riders to find them.

As the riders were saddling up, they finally returned.

Elise and I ran out to greet them, shaky with relief. But as we drew near, I saw how many soldiers were wounded. Xander was riding one-handed, a stream of blood running down his arm. The shaft of an arrow was sticking out his shoulder.

"Xander!" Horrified, I charged towards him without a second's thought. He glowered, but he didn't send me away, and I held Indra still as he dismounted.

Leo got off his own horse and tossed the reins to one of his retainers. Mercifully, he was unwounded.

"Kass, hand Indra to someone else." He tried to support his brother. "We need to get Xander to the medical tent. Where's Elise?"

"Here!" She popped up next to me. "What happened?"

"We were ambushed by a group of Hoshidan soldiers patrolling nearby," Leo said. "They wiped out half our group almost immediately, which made the ensuing fight long and difficult."

"I was shot in the shoulder, not my legs," Xander growled, pushing Leo off. "I'm not a cripple."

Leo gave him a dark look that could have rivalled any expression of King Garon's. He turned on his heel without another word and stormed off.