Chapter 50: Stolen Memories

Princess Kassandra of Nohr

I sat down on the throne and closed my eyes.

Instantly, my mind was filled with all the things Norton must have seen -- days spent with the whole family, special occasions. But I also saw things that I knew belonged to me, like games played with Takumi and mornings fussing over little Sakura.

I argued with Ryoma a lot -- I hadn't realised that we'd disagreed even before Nohr had come between us. But the arguments were never about families or war. They were silly little things, and every night after we argued, I would walk to his room when I was supposed to be asleep.

"Yes?" he said in my first memory of it, swinging his door open. He looked seven or eight, and yet there was also something about his wise eyes that made him seem much older.

"I'm s-sorry," little me said, my voice trembling. "Will you forgive me? I d-don't want you to hate me."

Ryoma's eyes softened. "I don't hate you. But you should be in bed."

"I c-couldn't sleep because I was worried that you would h-hate me."

He sighed. "Do you want to come in?"

I nodded.

He took my pudgy hand and led me further into his room. When he sat down on his bed, he pulled me onto his lap. I cuddled him until I fell asleep, my head against his shoulder.

In the morning, I woke up in my own room, tucked in carefully beneath the covers.

In real life, I smiled. This made me truly understand why my family had missed me. Now I could see what we had done and how much they had loved me.

The memories rolled by until I was five. I saw Cheve. I saw the Northern Fortress. I saw Iago reach towards me to wipe my memory clean, and I knew that should have been the end of it.

But I jumped forwards ten years.

Norton and I were standing on the rooftop of the Northern Fortress, training alone with wooden blades.

"Just accept it, Norton!" I yelled between blows. "Father is never going to let us out of here! So let's finish after this match like we should have done ten minutes ago. The others have been waiting for ages!"

"I will fight Xander and win!" Norton bellowed. "I have to train!"

"Do you really hate it here so much?"

"Yes! I want to see the outside world, damn it!"

I caught him off guard and pressed my practice blade to his throat. "I win. Again. Norton, give up. Maybe when we're as old as Xander is now --"

"No!" He backed away. "I want to get out now! I hate this place. The walls feel too tight. Everything is dark. I just -- I don't belong!"

His arm suddenly transformed, exploding towards me like a bolt of lightning. His claws slashed my cheek, cutting deep, and he stumbled back with wide eyes.