Chapter 10: Terror in the Light

Princess Kaiya of Hoshido

Oh, gods, I thought as I opened my eyes the next morning. The ceremony.

Ever since Queen Mikoto had announced it, dread had resided in the pit of my stomach. Telling the Hoshidans that Norton and I were here would be making our royal status official. But I didn't want it to be official. I wanted to be a Nohrian.

What would the others think? The news would reach them quickly. Would they know me well enough to understand that this wasn't what I wanted? Or would they think that I'd betrayed them?

I took a deep breath. The stress of my current situation was making me lose my wits. Of course they wouldn't think I'd betrayed them. Norton and I had gone missing right on the Hoshidan border after a skirmish -- they'd understand that we'd been taken.

There was a knock at the door. "Princess Kaiya?"

"You may enter."

Semyaza pushed the door open, her eyes holding surprised delight. "You're awake early."

"I was thinking about the ceremony."

She crossed to one of my trunks and sifted through the clothing. I looked away. Dressing like the Hoshidans always felt wrong. The garments made my skin itch, and they looked stupid on me.

Semyaza laid down a few kimonos on my blankets, and I got out of bed reluctantly. She examined them, put two away again, and held the final one against me. "I think this will be perfect for the ceremony. Do you like it, my lady?"

It was as if she'd read my mind. The kimono was long and white, with sapphires sewn asymmetrically across the bodice and high collar. A pin shaped like a crystal butterfly hung at the top. It was the most beautiful kimono I had ever seen -- Nohrian ballgown beautiful. It outshone most of my clothing in Castle Krakenburg.

"It's perfect," I murmured.

Semyaza smiled. "Then let's get you dressed, my lady."

Once I was wearing the kimono, she twisted my hair into a bun held together by sticks. As she worked, I scrutinised myself in the mirror. Although I looked nice, I also looked unquestionably Hoshidan -- no trace of Nohr was left. I wondered what Xander would make of it if he could see. Would he say the words I'd always wanted to hear?

You look beautiful, Kass.

Or would he simply frown at the Hoshidan style?

I erased him from the scene again, feeling guilty. Never mind my aesthetics. He and the others would be worried sick about Norton and me. And Gunter.

Bile rose in my throat. They probably thought that Gunter and Hans were still alive and missing with us.

"Is there something on your mind, my lady?" Semyaza asked.