Chapter One

The sound of my paws pounding against the hard earth, my panting breaths and the noises of the woodland creatures was all that could be heard as I ran along a patrol trail through the forest. My ears perked at the sound of a trickling stream was coming into view. Trotting over to it I lowered my snout, taking a long hard drink of the cool refreshing water. I have been running patrol for a few hours now, deciding it wouldn't hurt to take a short break. I walked over to the base of a nearby tree, sitting on my rump before stretching out to lay on my belly. My ears still on high alert, listening for any danger while I inhaled deeply a couple of times to make sure there weren't any unknown scents in the air. I watched the water flowing along the stream, shining and shimmering as it caught the light of the moon as it poked through the trees above.

"Hey Nakita?" The sound of my best friend Maddie's voice filtered through our mind link.

"What's up Madd?" I answered he back quickly.

"Dad wants to know your location. Says it's urgent." Concern could be clearly heard in her voice. This can't be good if Maddie is worried.

"I'm at the stream on the west side border. Is everything okay?"

As I anxiously waited for her to reply I let my other senses reach out, closing my eyes as I listened for any sound that wasn't deemed 'normal'. When I detected nothing I stood from my laxed position, eyes alert as I beg to sniff the air. A soft breeze flew through the air, bringing the smells of a nearby rabbit, wild flowers and leaves along with it. As I inhaled again I also caught a slight scent of musk, finding it odd I began to walk upwind. As I walked the scent grew stronger but was now mixed with a hint of spice? What the heck? Picking up my pace I trotted along the path, towards the odd scents just as Maddie finally responded. I stopped in my tracks, waiting for her to finish.

"Okay..um Nik.."

"What is it Madd?" I was beginning to get seriously worried at this point.

"You need to be careful. Dad has informed me that a visiting Alpha will be crossing over the West Border anytime now. Apparently he is not very... social? If you catch my drift. Dad wants you to stay clear if you catch a whiff of him. He's sending Grant out to relieve you, he's calling all females back to the pack house."

The urgency and worry in her voice has my anxiety rising through the roof. Why the hell is a Alpha coming into our territory so late at night? It has to be well past midnight by now. He must be bad news if Alpha John wants only male patrols and what's with the whole 'not very social' thing? Even though I was worried I have to admit, my curiosity was getting the better of me. Who is this mystery Alpha?

"Hello?...Nik, you there?.. NIKITA! Answer me right now dammit!" Maddie's angry voice broke me from my wandering thoughts, bringing me back to the present situation a hand.

"Shit, sorry Madd. Got distracted. When should Grant get here? I'm still close to the stream. Caught a odd scent and wanted to check it out."

"Jesus Nik, don't do that to me. To answer your question Grant should be there with in five maybe ten minutes. He was already halfway there when dad ordered him to take your place." She sighed into the link. Figuring I should just wait for Grant, I sat back down.

"Do you know which Alpha is coming? It has to be someone your dad doesn't trust if he's ordering all the girls home." I asked curiously. I felt her sigh again before her worry filled voice spoke again.

"He's got good reason to be worried Nik.. Hell I'm worried. Especially since you are on the west border."

"Come on Madd, it can't be that bad! I'm totally fine, even if something were to happen, I can probably out run the fat old fool." Maddie's high pitched giggle flew through the link after she snorted.