Chapter Six

*Dominic's POV*

Standing there staring at the dark wood of the door in my face I felt my wolf growl before he whimpered, retreating to the back of my mind. He was pissed at me, he had every right to be but he knew this was going to happen. Of course we couldn't treat Nikita like she was our mate, well I couldn't. He desperately wanted to, constantly mixing his emotions with mine whenever she was near. It was damn near frustrating, the whole walk from Blood Mood my emotions were battling with his. Yes I felt at ease being around her but that was because of that damn mating bond. All that happy lovey dovey shit was all him, pushing his thoughts into mine. When we finally crossed my pack line I knew I had to take full control, I couldn't keep dragging it out. Nikita needed to know the truth, even if it hurt her. I didn't like to cause her pain, but honestly it was a necessary evil. I am not capable of giving her the things normal mates do. I can not give her happiness, I can not give her love. Yes I could protect her, keep her from harm. I can give her a good life, she will want for nothing but that is it.

Growling I turned away from the door, my loud footsteps echoing through the hall as I made my way to my study. I opened the door roughly once inside I slammed it closed. The pictures on the wall rattle on their hooks but due to all the "improvements" my beta had made, they stayed in their place. My beta Brent was use to my foul moods, my anger and how easy it was for me to lose control. He made quite a few improvements to the pack house, reinforced doors, metal plates on the wall so the door handle wouldn't constantly keep going through the drywall. He had hooks placed on all sides of every painting so they wouldn't crash to the floor. Of course things would still get broken, but not as much.

Yanking a t-shirt off the back of my chair and pulling it on. I sigh as I drop into my office chair that sits behind a small oak desk. I close my eyes, thinking about the little spitfire down the hall. I knew she would be hurt, pissed even but damn. I was not expecting her to speak like that, and to me of all people. A small smile tugged at my lips, she will definitely be a handful I can already tell. I was expecting tears, like most females but I was not expecting that. I could see how hurt she was, small flickers of her emotions seeped into me due to our wolves imprinting but as soon as the sadness appeared it was gone. She was having an internal battle with herself or maybe with her wolf, I wasn't sure which. I groaned and ran my hands down my face as the image of her pissed off face filtered through my mind. Honestly if I'm being truthful to myself, it kind of turned me on. She was definitely not one of those weak little she-wolves that cried and begged. Oh no, she was fierce, powerful, she was strong. I see why the goddess paired us but I also wondered why she did so. Why would she put this girl through this? It would only cause her pain.

I'm not sure how long I sat here thinking about her until I finally cleared my mind enough to start on the paperwork sitting on my desk. It was her transfer papers, along with the alliance papers Brent had drawn up for me while I was gone. I have to fill them out, sign and fax a copy over to John so he can over look them. If everything is to his liking he will sign and fax over a copy so both parties had one. I was almost dreading the thought of all the paperwork I would have to do if John didn't like the terms to the agreement. I had more important things to worry about than making sure he was comfortable, but I had made a promise years ago. Even if my mate no longer belonged to that pack, I would protect them. The moment I set foot on their pack grounds, I took on the responsibility. I do not come to the aid of other packs, but something in me snapped that night. I had to help and once I got there I knew why. I knew why I had to protect them because as soon as I was there I could smell her. My mate. Even with all the bloodshed, the smell of burning bodies, trees and houses. The mouthwatering smell of vanilla and cinnamon, it drew me in.

My eyes frantically searched through the battle as I stepped over lifeless bodies. My wolves were making quick work of the rogues. Once I spotted her, it was like everything slowed down, moving in slow motion. She was beautiful, her hair whipping around almost blending in with the flames behind her. Her skin almost glowed as she stood there. She looked to be in her teens, fourteen maybe. She was small even back then, I could tell she hadn't finished her training and probably hadn't even shifted more than a handful of times judging by how she was still in human form. Most wolves preferred to fight in their wolf form as they were stronger. As I watched her, I failed to notice the wolf creeping up behind her. I watched as she turned around, a earth shattering scream came from my little mate as her body crashed to the hard ground. The instant the scream left her lips I charged forward, jumping over a pile of bodies and shifting to my wolf midair. Panic set in as the rouge tore into her side, the sound of bones being crushed hit my ears like sonic waves. I ran faster then I ever had as his teeth neared her throat, I lowered my head and barreled into his side before his teeth could touch her again.