Chapter Twenty One

As I watched Jackson from the doorway of the play room, I mentally kicked myself over and over for the way I had been acting. He wasn't happily playing with other kids, instead he sat in the far corner of the room by himself playing with a batman action figure. Sighing I pushed off the door frame and walked into the room. Dodging the occasional munchkin as they ran around I finally made it over to him. His attention was fully on the toy in his hands as he bent the arms this way and that. Crouching down in front of him I rested my elbows on my knees and placed my chin on the palms of my hand, silently watching him. After a few moments he finally noticed me, his hazel eyes looked up to meet mine. I smiled softly at him and waved, Jackson just stared blankly at me. My smile faded as he looked back down at his toy. Okay.. I guess I kind of deserve that.

'Just talk to him Nikky. He missed you so much, I'm sure he's just sad.' Quin said reassuringly. What could it hurt?

"Hey Jack-Jack." He didn't answer.

"Can I play with you?" I tried again. His eyes met mine briefly before he looked back down.

"No? Okay, that's fine. Is it okay if I sit here?" I asked as I pointed to the child sized chair next to his. Jackson's eyes followed my finger before he looked back at his toy and shrugged. Well at least he's answering me now, maybe not with words but it's something.

"Thanks buddy." I stood from my crouched position before gingerly lowering myself into the chair. I guess being small does come with some advantages. Quin snorted from the back of my mind. I mentally rolled my eyes at her and turned my attention back to the little boy beside me.

"Batman's pretty cool huh?" He shrugged again while playing with the toy.

"You know who else is cool?" I paused a moment. "Iron man." As I said this I noticed his interest in what I was saying peaked as he nodded slightly.

"With his big iron suit and super neat gadgets. Him and Batman would make a pretty great team, don't you think?" He gave me a sideways glace before nodding again.

"Yeah, it would be so cool to watch them take down all the bad guys, along with Robin of course. Can't forget Batman's faithful sidekick now can we." Jackson shrugged.

"Of course we can't forget him! Come on Jack-jack. It's Robin! He's like the scrambled eggs to Batman's bacon." A smile tugged at the corners of his lips before it faded. He started playing with his toy once more and shrugged. Okay..so were back to shrugging, and wow I seriously need to get some food in me. Scrambled eggs to his bacon, really?

'Hey you always have been a girl motivated by food and lets face it. It's been a while since you actually ate a proper meal.' Quin pipped in.

'Yeah true I guess.'

"Hey, you hungry?" I asked hopeful. Jackson looked up at me, his eyes staring right into mine.

For a moment I was beginning to think he would just ignore me again but to my surprise he nodded eagerly and stood up from his chair. He stood in front of me and offered me his hand. Smiling I took his hand in mine and stood.

"Want to lead the way, bud?" He nodded again while he began to lead me through the mass of kids and toys sprawled through out the room.

His hand was so small for a kid his age, he reminds me so much of myself it's kind of crazy. My eyes kept darting down to him as he lead me through the halls of the pack house. Pack members watched, bowing their heads slightly as we passed. Many of the women sent me small smiles and a wave as well, which I returned. As we turned another corner I was glad to see that the group of Alpha's and Dominic were no where in sight. Jackson's head of messy blond hair bouncing slightly with every step brought a smile to my face again. How could I push him away and ignore him the way I did? Never again, no matter what life throws my way. I will never do that to him again, he's already gone through enough in his short life. I can't be another bad experience for him. He asked me to be his mother and I agreed, now it's time to finally start acting like one. As we rounded the corner to the kitchen I cleared all my negative thoughts from my mind.