Chapter Twenty Seven

As I woke I slowly became aware of the hard surface I was laying on. My cheek was pressed against something hard but at the same time it was warm and strangely comforting. The haze in my brain was lifting painfully slow and as I laid there I became aware of how my body felt. It was like I was weighed down with a ton of bricks. Everything hurt, just breathing was like I was being kicked in the ribs. A small whimper passed through my lips as I shifted slightly, causing pain to race through me. It felt like fire was spreading over my torso and down my leg while a dull throbbing pushed down my throat. In that same moment something tightened around me, it felt like a python constricting its prey. Panic and pain shot through me as I weakly fought to free myself of my restraints, only causing more pain to surround me. Where was Dom? Where am I? What was happening? I need Dom! Another whimper came from me, instantly the constricting feeling was gone, replaced with a soft and gentle embrace that was spreading warmth through my entire body.

'Hey, hey. It's okay Nika, I'm here.' With the sound of his deep voice coming through our link, the pain and panic changed to warmth, comfort and a feeling of safety. He continued to talk to me as my heart rate slowed down to normal and my breathing became more even.

'Does anything hurt? I'll call for the nurse, you should have gotten your pain med's a few hours ago but we didn't want to disturb you.' 

I nodded weakly against what I knew now was his chest. As we waited for the nurse in silence I snuggled closer to him, soaking up all his warmth. My body still felt too cold, something I was not use to. One of the many things I love about being a wolf is I vary rarely ever get cold. We can walk around in knee deep snow in nothing but a pair of cut off shorts and a tank top and still be perfectly fine, as if it were the middle of summer on the Florida coast.

The soft squeak of the door hinges caught my attention before I caught the scent of three wolves entering the room. A deeper inhale told me it was Doctor Rob along with another male and a female but there scents were unfamiliar to me. Rob came in and spoke to Dominic about what medications I would be taking from home, when and how many to give me along with some other things I didn't bother to listen to. My attention was set on the two unknown wolves in the room. Inhaling deeply I took in their scents again before turning my head more, tucking my face into Dominic's neck. I didn't want my face to give anything away but something was wrong. The males heart rate was slightly elevated but nothing to alarming, maybe he was simply nervous about being in a room with Dom, his Alpha. I wasn't sure and couldn't put my finger on it but something was off about the two of them. The female was significantly more on edge, her heart rate was fast, her breathing slightly quicker and her scent.. she was definitely sweating. I listened to her heart as it picked up rhythm when my name was mentioned as Luna Nikita.My guard was up, I was on edge already but as soon as Doc mentioned the nurse Kaydence would be giving me a shot for my pain, I lost control. A snarl ripped through me, my nails became sharp claws and my canines pushed through my lips. I could feel hair beginning to poke through my skin pores as my wolf was fighting to take control to protect both of us. Underneath me I felt Dominic's body respond to mine, his guard was instantly up as well as I felt him move into a sitting position with me on his lap. With his large frame he was practically shielding me from all eyes as he curled over me and tightened his grip on me.

"What's going on?!" His voice boomed around the four walls of my hospital room.

"I..I don't know sir. What, whats going on Luna?" Rob asked, clearly panicked. I swallowed hard trying to clear the dry and itchy feeling in my throat. Pushing through the pain in my throat I croaked out a few words.

"Don't... Trust... Them." Those three words seemed to flip a switch in Dominic's mind. His body became more tense and in a matter of seconds a commotion of people came bursting through the door. As the sound of people shouting filled the room Dom and I were suddenly off the bed. He was cradling me against his chest as a female began screaming and things smashed against the wall. I tried desperately to open my eyes. I needed to see what was happening, I needed to know.