Chapter Two

^ Nikita ^

It was total chaos... I stood at the door of the pack house, my eyes taking in the hectic scene before me. People were running around the house like it was on fire. Mothers clutching their children to them, they looked terrified. Pack warriors were barking out orders trying to calm everyone down. Through the mass of bodies I saw Maddie's white-blonde head of hair. I quickly made my way over to her as I dodged around people. As soon as she saw me she ran to me. Throwing her arms around my neck and pulling me into a bone crushing hug.

"Oh, thank god." She breathed. I chuckled at her, she was always so worried.

"I told you I would be okay, silly girl." I ruffled her hair.

Maddie may be the Alpha's daughter but she was more like a little sister to me. I am two years older than her, so of course I act like her big sister, always looking out for her. It's been this way since we were kids. I've known her since the day she was born. See, my parents were the Beta pair. My father being Alpha John's Beta and my mother, since she was his mate was the Beta Female. All my life I've been trained to be Beta, but I've never taken the role. I could have assumed the role as Beta two years ago, but honestly.. I didn't want it. When my parents passed during the battle with the rogues, Alpha John selected a man named Jerry to fill in until I completed my training and became of age. Beta Jerry made a mighty fine Beta and I didn't really want to take on all the responsibility just yet. Maybe not ever, I know it's what is expected of me but I honestly just don't feel the need or want to be Beta, it doesn't feel right to me. So even if I don't take the position, Jerry's son Glenn can take over when his dad steps down. I see it as a win, win situation.

"I know, I know but honestly Nik. You worry me, you're always so reckless and unpredictable." Maddie's voice cuts in above the mass of people shouting. I roll my eyes and pull away from the hug to look at her.

"Oh come on now Madd. You know I would never willingly put myself in harms way." I smile softly at her.

"Who's gonna keep you out of trouble if I'm not around huh?" I ask, one brow raising. She giggles and shakes her head.

"Yeah right, more like the other way around." I roll my eyes at her.

"So, what's going on? Why is everyone freaking out?" I ask, lowering my voice.

"Oh! Geez, it's freaking stupid Nik. Dad's pissed as all holy hell." She says with a small sigh.

"Well? I'm waiting?" I ask playfully. This time she rolls her eyes at me.

"Okay, well as you know. Red Dawns Alpha is here. It was totally unexpected and also unauthorized!" She huffs in annoyance before continuing.

"He called and told my dad he would be crossing the board in twenty minutes time. My dad was furious, demanding to know the reason but the Alpha wouldn't answer him. He literally hung up on my dad! Ugh, damn Alpha's.. Anyways, that's when he had me contact you while he sorted out the rest. He has the pack on lock down until he knows there isn't a threat to our safety."

I nod along as I listen, the Red Dawns Alpha's actions not surprising me at all. He's done this before, though his unscheduled visits seem to be getting more frequent. He would come randomly the last three years but this is his second visit in the last six months. Something is definitely going on.

"Has your Dad said anything? Theses visits can't be for nothing. He must want something, or maybe problems with rogues? I know we haven't had issues since...well you know what. Other than a random passerby."

Maddie shakes her head, her lips pressing into a hard thin line. There's something going on, she doesn't know what it is, but she knows it's something. My eyes narrow slightly, I can always tell when she's lying or hiding something from me. I pull her over to sit on a loveseat in the corner of the pack living room. The chaos slowly starting to ease into a calmer mood.