Chapter Sixteen

*Dominic's POV*

I stood in the hallway leaning against the wall as Nikita comforted Jackson, trying not to pry in on their private moment but I was also worried about a pack pup. In her haste she had left the door open and I could hear everything they were saying. The way Nikita was around Jackson.. it made my heart ache for her even more. It takes a special kind of wolf to do what she has done. From the very first moment she held that boy in her arms on the staircase I already knew what was happening even if she herself didn't know it yet. Nikita was forming a family bond with the pup, her wolf took him in, accepted him as hers.

Our wolves form bonds much faster than our human sides, it's just how they work. They have this spiritual connection to others and it's almost instantly. If they like someone, they will treat them like a precious figure in their life. If they don't like someone at all, their feelings are well known. Our wolves project their emotions to us, they read people's characters much better than us and we rely on that instinct without even knowing it. A wolf and their human side are so intuned that their feelings are usually a mirror image of our own. Now I say usually because sometimes we have very different emotions or thoughts than our more animalistic counterparts.

"Nik-Nik?" Jack's voice broke into my thoughts.

"Yes baby?" Nikita answered him.

"Can.. Can you be my new mommy?" Time seemed to move slowly, to slow as I waited for her answer.

"If you want me to be your mommy."

"I want you to be mommy." I could hear his sniffles as he spoke.

"Then I will be your mommy." It was like something inside me shifted. I can't explain it but I know something is different and it scares me..

"Thank you for being my mommy." Jackson said softly. The silence stretched on for ages and I couldn't control myself anymore. Silently I edged into the doorway, on the bed Nikita was curled around Jackson's small frame. The sight before me brought on a whole new array of emotions I didn't understand as Nikita's soft voice spoke again.

"Thank you for letting me be your mommy."

Soon Nikita's breath became soft and even as she fell asleep cuddling with Jack. I stayed there for a long while just watching them as they slept, leaning against the door frame. My mind was one big jumbled mess, trying to work out theses thoughts and feelings. It has literally been just a few days since Nikita and I marked each other, days since we mated. I still don't know what to think about it all. Could I really let this girl in? Can I give her the life that she wants, the life that she deserves? In my heart I want to give her the world, I would do anything for this little spit fire but in the back of my mind is fear. That little sliver of fear that she will be just like the other people I cared about in my life.

As I wandered the halls of the pack house I thought over everything, the possibilities of Nikita fucking me over and totally destroying me because I know if she turned out to be just like them it really would destroy anything that's left of me inside. I know I'm not the same person I use to be, but who would be the same after all the shit I've been through. Having the parents I did would be enough to break anyone but I still didn't let that ruin me. Felisha was the cherry on top of a shit cupcake. She was the only person I let in, the only person I told everything to. She knew all my darkest secrets, she knew things even my siblings didn't know about our parents. Being the eldest child I took it upon myself to protect them as much as I could. When my father was angry I was purposefully act out to take his attention away from Brent and eventually Lilly when she came along. I tried my best to keep them safe and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. The day my father sent Lilly to the infirmary for the first time was the day I started taking my training seriously.